Breville Dual Boiler Learning Curve? - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
flat4510

#51: Post by flat4510 »

Regarding the tight gasket, I highly recommend adding a small amount of Dow Corning 111. You can spread some on the lip of the basket as a way to get it on the gasket, and then wipe off the excess. My portafilter now locks in at the 6-6:30 position very smoothly and without excessive force.

DaveB

#52: Post by DaveB »

^^ +1. I did this several weeks ago and it made a huge difference in the smoothness. I also added a bit to each "ear", as I think this is what rubs against the plastic group inserts. It might also help to wiggle the portafilter back and forth when backflushing so that water shoots up into the gasket area, which also seems to help.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Advertisement
Valo_Soul

#53: Post by Valo_Soul »

I'm puzzled by this as well. I have a newer model 920xl, and both my spouted and bottomless portafilters have the notch. I ordered my bottomless from Amazon Canada.

pcrussell50

#54: Post by pcrussell50 »

The portafilter notch first appeared in the later -900, called the -900/B. It's been the same ever since.

Re portafilter gaskets, just this week I started using the Cafelat one made for the BDB. So far... I like it. It seems to have a firm lock in and firm feel. Tentatively better than the stocker. I'll keep reporting back.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mrjag

#55: Post by mrjag »

I've also seen a version of the portafilter where the notch is on the bottom.

Sgoldberg89

#56: Post by Sgoldberg89 »

I purchased my BDB in the last month and picked up a bottomless pf from Breville directly.

IMAWriter

#57: Post by IMAWriter »

Y'all have me worried now!!! :lol:
"I don know 'bout no stinkin' notches."
Buenos Notches.

Purchased mine from SCG along with the machine. We'll see.

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#58: Post by pcrussell50 replying to IMAWriter »

I'm betting SCG has enough sales volume that they won't have unsold old stock. The groups requiring a notched PF came around some time in 2013.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Sgoldberg89

#59: Post by Sgoldberg89 »

pcrussell50 wrote: Re portafilter gaskets, just this week I started using the Cafelat one made for the BDB. So far... I like it. It seems to have a firm lock in and firm feel. Tentatively better than the stocker. I'll keep reporting back.

-Peter
I'm assuming because I have a newer machine there's no issue with my gasket - but I haven't see a lot of complaints either about the gasket failing. I guess I'm a little confused why one would swap this part out if it's asymptomatic? Is there a difference in experience or in the cup? One thought I've had is that it may be more sustainable to keep my pf locked in (loosely) when not in use with the Kafelat one instead of putting it on in the morning before use as I do now, to preserve the o-ring longevity. Idk tho.

pcrussell50

#60: Post by pcrussell50 »

Sgoldberg89 wrote:I'm assuming because I have a newer machine there's no issue with my gasket - but I haven't see a lot of complaints either about the gasket failing. I guess I'm a little confused why one would swap this part out if it's asymptomatic? Is there a difference in experience or in the cup? One thought I've had is that it may be more sustainable to keep my pf locked in (loosely) when not in use with the Kafelat one instead of putting it on in the morning before use as I do now, to preserve the o-ring longevity. Idk tho.
Good questions... The Breville gasket will probably last you the rest of your life, especially if you clean it in some detergent to get the coffee oils off of it periodically. And even if it somehow got cut or torn from mishandling or such, it's one of those things you can get directly from Breville. And replacing it does not make a difference in the cup.

Reasons to consider the Cafelat gasket:
1) Paul Pratt/Cafelat is a small business and a long time contributor here at HB
2) Up until now, he made the must-have gaskets for the fancy Italian and American brands (Slayer and Synesso are American), and now he has honored us by making one for the BDB. I'm pleased and proud that he recognized our machines enough to make a gasket for them. In a world full of specialty espresso equipment businesses that would never deign to recognize the BDB, this is refreshing and uplifting. He also has a BDB of his own, I've heard.
3) Re point (2) above, the enjoyment that we are not left out of the party, with blingy must-have accessories. Your mate with a Speedster has one. You can too.
4) Look and feel. Well mostly feel since you can't actually see the gasket when it's in use. But this gasket definitely has a different feel. When I slide them on a hard smooth counter top, the Breville one grips and the Cafelat slips, like it's a harder dryer compound. Comparing them visually side by side they look identical. They even have the mold separation line in the same place. Yet the Cafelat gasket behaves as if it's thicker, with a more solid lock-in, sooner. It may also be less prone to spin out. I personally can't confirm for sure. I've only had it a few days.

None of this is either here nor there as long as the Breville basket holds your portafilter in place and doesn't leak. They never leak unless they are damaged, and spinout seems to be less of a thing than it used to be. So This is NOT one of your BIG upgrades. It's just something that due to a handful of small things added up, may or may not tip the "joy" needle up just a hair in day to day use. That's all. I cannot make any better case than that, nor will I try.

-Peter
LMWDP #553