Breville Dual Boiler Learning Curve? - Page 28

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tennisman03110 (original poster)

#271: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

Rob,

I'm currently on a bag of dark roasted beans. Not my style, but not bad at all. It's nice to be able to lower the temp to about 194F, I actually get some nice chocolatey flavors and a hint of berry, something I've never experienced before in a dark roast.

My pucks are bone dry after the shot. Similarly, they are pretty dry with lighter roasts. It's just the inside edges of the puck stick to the portafilter with the ridgeless basket, which I didn't get with the stock basket. I enjoy smaller doses (17g max). The stock basket was great, but not so much with less than 19g.

pcrussell50

#272: Post by pcrussell50 »

Dustin, do you have a knock box?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#273: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

Peter,

I have the Breville knockbox. It's something to do with the basket, or how I prep it (maybe how much coffee I use?). I really smash it but it still needs to be heavily doused in water.

The below is NOT my picture. But something similar I found online, expect I have more coffee along the edges, not one stuck spot.

HB
Admin

#274: Post by HB »

tennisman03110 wrote:...expect I have more coffee along the edges, not one stuck spot.
Search this site on "puckology". There's general agreement that you're not going to learn much of value looking at puck remnants. For example, from Judge my puck please:
keno wrote:I would venture to say that pucks are like bowel movements - not informative unless there is a sudden change in habits without any other obvious cause. Otherwise, don't go around posting pictures of it, worrying about it, or trying to analyze it. :roll:

Focus on how the espresso tastes.
Dan Kehn

pcrussell50

#275: Post by pcrussell50 »

tennisman03110 wrote:Peter,

I have the Breville knockbox. It's something to do with the basket, or how I prep it (maybe how much coffee I use?). I really smash it but it still needs to be heavily doused in water.

The below is NOT my picture. But something similar I found online, expect I have more coffee along the edges, not one stuck spot.
It's a nice knock box isn't it? Big enough that you don't have to empty it every day. Nice subdued color. Those dinky little bright colored boutique knock boxes are not for me.

Anyway, what you are getting is more or less what I get. But since my machine is right by the sink, and plumbed to boot, I hit the knock box then give it a rinse. Usually at the sink. Sometimes by running water through the group like they do at the espresso joints.

I don't see a little residual as a problem. Nor wet pucks. Most of my tweaking and adjustment histrionics are centered around taste.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

IMAWriter

#276: Post by IMAWriter »

My taste has been on the bitter side with the wetter pucks. The grind is NOT too fine, and the water temp is moderate..199-201, depending on the coffee recipe. I wait 15 minutes after tweaking the temp up or down.
Going with a shorter pre-infusion today. FWIW, as mentioned, my pucks pop out clean.

pcrussell50

#277: Post by pcrussell50 replying to IMAWriter »

Don't be afraid to run over dogma (with your karma) and try a crazy low temperature. One of the great things the BDB offers is easy and precise temperature changes. Try 195 or even lower.

Right now I'm working a super light bean that really likes 205degF.

Use your capability, now that you have it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#278: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

I'm not worried about my puck -- until I start reading this forum, and thread especially ;)

It's amazing how much nicer my shots can get going from one temp to another (lower in my case, but darker beans). It will be interesting to see what a non-conventional temperature does for a lighter bean.

IMAWriter

#279: Post by IMAWriter replying to tennisman03110 »

haha...guilty as charged, my friend!!

This morning's shot...using the larger 18 gram Barista Pro (IMS) Nano basket was certainly interesting. Same coffee...slightly past it's prime Stumptown Hairbender, 19.5 grams in, 38 grams out, 36 seconds...with the 6 second pre-infuse. Even using the "The Jack Leveler" and a 15 # tamp, the shot never quite coalesced to one stream till 14 seconds past the pre-infuse (19 seconds total). The taste was OK, not really any different. BUT, upon removing the PF...no puck!!!
It was stuck to the bottom of the group!! That's a NEW one....magic!! Note...there was still about 4-5mm of clearance after tamping.
"Hairbender" is a MIND-bender.

IMAWriter

#280: Post by IMAWriter »

Hope everyone is doing well.
I decided to order a bit of coffee from a known commodity, Klatch Roasters. I've ordered their "Belle" espresso and "WBC" espresso blends for years.
Tis time, 2#s of their WBC. This iteration is VERY chocolate-y. It's still waaaay young...5 days post roast, but I could not resist. (They recommend at least (!!) 10 days post roast. Not one to follow instructions (ha, y'all know me too well) I cracked the bagt, ball jared 2 loads, into the freezer, and kept the other about 300 grams for NOW.
They recommend 20 grams in, 36 grams out, 201f (93.9c, but who's counting), total time about 28 seconds. I may be off a second...can't quite remember.
I shortened the pre-infuse to 7 seconds...it's a medium roast..with a few larger Nicaragua looking larger beans medium+
I used the 18 gram nano basket. The shot pulled a tiny bit sower...33 seconds...but who's counting? I did loosen the grind a notch subsequently.

THERE was the sweetness I've been missing.Later, I broke down and made a traditional cappuccino, whole milk. Delicious. The nano basket seems to drain better. Inspecting it as compared to the Breville, the holes seem just the tiniest bit larger. Thankfully, the extra couple grams isn't making me woozy, which has been an issue with shots from my friend's Alex Duetto. Not sure if his Vario flat burr would be the cause. He doses 20 grams as well.

I'm finding the steamer to work quite well for me. I'm almost inspired enough to watch some latte art tutorials...sometime. Texturing is easier. I just can't get the pouring thing..good pitchers, too. I tried the drop of soap thing (Scott Rao) but to no avail. Oh well. Pretty coffee'd up today. Cheers.