Breville Dual Boiler Learning Curve? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Iowa_Boy

#11: Post by Iowa_Boy »

The BDB is a fantastic machine, but anytime you switch machines there is sure to be a learning curve.
My thoughts are that the issues are either the portafilter isn't locked in, basket prep isn't ideal, or grind is too course.
I like the suggestion to use the blind basket and back flush the machine. This will test if your portafilter is locked in correctly. If it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry what position the handle is at. Mine is currently at 5:30, but I definitely couldn't get to that spot initially when I first got it.
Once you know you have handle locked in correctly, I would adjust the grind next. It sounds like you are adjusting the micro adjustment on the 270. Have you tried the coarse adjustment to grind finer? Ideally, I would grind finer until the machine chokes, then back off and see where you are.
If you can't get to the point that the machine chokes, then likely basket prep is an issue. I use 18 grams in the Breville stock basket and it works for most coffees except really light roasts.

tennisman03110 (original poster)

#12: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

I'm far from an expert, but my basket prep is solid enough I believe. The grind setting on my Sette 270 (and the coffee) did not change in 24 hours, only the jump from my Duo Temp to the BDB.

I surmise the portafilter was not tight on the first bottomless shot. The grind was definitely too coarse on the next shots. I

As far as the blind basket/backflush, I've never done that before (even on my other machine in 5 months...), so I'll have to look into that. I need to be much kinder to the BDB, and the entire issue might stem from being too careful on a new gasket.

Sgoldberg89

#13: Post by Sgoldberg89 »

You mean you've never back flushed your group? Do you take it off to clean it pretty regularly? You're gonna get a ton of gunk adding funk to your brews if you don't flush that thing. I've taken apart espresso machines that are 20-30 years old and it's pretty amazing to see coffee that's been stuck in a group head for literally decades! Anyway - highly recommend you flush that group head and keep your valves clean too.

#14: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

Sadly, no, I never back flushed my old machine. Had it for 6 months, but used it on and off. I guess it was cheap and used and didn't have the mindset of long term ownership.

I plan on taking care of the BDB.

DaveB

#15: Post by DaveB »

Breville recommends backflushing after every "session", so you should do it at least once after the last shot of the day. And you should do the auto clean program with one of the supplied tablets (or 3 grams of Calfiza powder) at least once a month - the prompt comes on after 200 shots if you forget.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

HotLava

#16: Post by HotLava »

I know it's a little off topic. I don't backflush after every session. I rinse and wipe the group after every session. Since I'm only pulling 2 doubles a day, I will brush the screen and backflush twice a week.

I removed the shower screen the other day and it looks good.The coffee and oils can lead to a burnt rancid flavor over time.The backflush will also let you see what the pressure is set to.

Another cleaning procedure that you should do 3-4 times of year is descale the machine. Don't wait for the message to come on. Breville said more frequent descaling will keep the solenoid valve from failing.

I will wipe The exterior with stainless steel wipes once a week. After a good wipe down. Keeps it clean and shiny
Joe

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 »

HotLava wrote:Another cleaning procedure that you should do 3-4 times of year is descale the machine. Don't wait for the message to come on. Breville said more frequent descaling will keep the solenoid valve from failing.
It is true the blockage of small passages is one of the more insidious damages that comes from scale. However... I can think of no other machines in the BDB's performance class that have a descale function. Instead, they provide guidance/guidelines on how to choose water that does not scale the machine. They also provide guidance on maximum tolerable chlorides in water. (Note: chlorides are NOT chlorine). This is the guidance I use for water for my BDB. I never run the descale function. Ever. But I also cannot get scale since I use water that doesn't allow it. The Breville descale process can go wrong and leave you with a repair that is not as easy as the routine maintenance. It sounds like enough of a PITA that one might consider sending it to Breville for $350. Personally I'm happy to just use the same water that LM, Synesso, Slayer, KvDW etc use.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#18: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

Semi related to my learning curve, I did read previous posts about the descaling function on the machine.

My thought was similar in approach, to avoid scaling water from the start, and not need to descale per Breville.

The water I made was 25g of my concentrate (4g baking soda:375g Distilled Water) in 1 gallon distilled water. Roughly 70mg/Liter. I'll see how it tastes if I ever get a good shot.

lancealot

#19: Post by lancealot »

DO NOT DESCALE YOUR BDB.

Many folks have had an issue where this results in damage to the machine beyond what a home user can reasonably repair. It happened to me. You can find many examples on the web of it happening to others. "breville no steam after descale" "breville three beeps steam descale" "breville steam boiler won't refill descale"

Maybe they have fixed it in firmware. It isn't worth finding out. Just use good water.

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

lancealot wrote:DO NOT DESCALE YOUR BDB.

Many folks have had an issue where this results in damage to the machine beyond what a home user can reasonably repair. It happened to me. You can find many examples on the web of it happening to others. "breville no steam after descale" "breville three beeps steam descale" "breville steam boiler won't refill descale"

Maybe they have fixed it in firmware. It isn't worth finding out. Just use good water.
Simple direct to the point. Words to live by.

If I had a dime for everyone who ruined his BDB with bad water or a descale gone bad, called it "disposable junk", then went on to buy a machine with no descale function and strict water guidelines and be thrilled with it...

One day you may buy one of those high end brands. Why not get a leg up on the game and start using the water they will require of you? Then when you "upgrade" you will be doing it out of boredom and not because of a broken machine.

/rant off

-Peter
LMWDP #553