Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 61

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
platinumlotus

#601: Post by platinumlotus »

Does anyone know the border diameter of stock Breville basket? I'm buying a IMS basket and they have different sizes from 66-70 so I need to make sure it fits. Thanks!

- Tung

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#602: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to platinumlotus »

Good question. I'm back in Australia for the next couple of weeks. But I have a variety of baskets from stock Breville to VST to EPNW HQ. I have a dial caliper and can measure when I get back. Remind me if I forget. I will say that there doesn't seem to be anything odd about the basket sizing and fitment in Breville portafilters.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

platinumlotus

#603: Post by platinumlotus »

Thanks Peter. I don't live in Australia but I've just bought a brand new BDB there, hand-carried by a forwarder back to Vietnam. I'm still waiting for it. The price is AUD$827, which is a steal :shock: I don't know why could some retailers in Australia offer this machine at such a low price. :D

- Tung

Moka 1 Cup

#604: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

The stock basket of my BES920XL is 70mm

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

#605: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

How about just under the lip?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Moka 1 Cup

#606: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Under the lip it's 60mm

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

gchapman

#607: Post by gchapman »

Woke up this morning to an audible hiss under the top of my one year old BDB 920xl. I lifted the top (never leave it screwed down) and quickly noticed a small steam leak from the top of my steam boiler:

I circled the leaking port. I assume this is a sensor, and that I could check it by pulling the clip out? Maybe an o-ring in there? I've changed o-rings when I modded this thing, but not on a sensor port. I don't think I have heard of a sensor port leaking before... or I missed it. Be glad for any advice.

It is not so bad as to disable the machine; we enjoyed our normal morning Capps. I'd be glad to fix it, though; we are isolated in our home with the virus, and I certainly don't want to pack up my BDB and send it back to Breville! :D

Geoff
Geoff Chapman

#608: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

gchapman wrote:Woke up this morning to an audible hiss under the top of my one year old BDB 920xl. I lifted the top (never leave it screwed down) and quickly noticed a small steam leak from the top of my steam boiler:

I circled the leaking port. I assume this is a sensor, and that I could check it by pulling the clip out? Maybe an o-ring in there? I've changed o-rings when I modded this thing, but not on a sensor port. I don't think I have heard of a sensor port leaking before... or I missed it. Be glad for any advice.

It is not so bad as to disable the machine; we enjoyed our normal morning Capps. I'd be glad to fix it, though; we are isolated in our home with the virus, and I certainly don't want to pack up my BDB and send it back to Breville! :D

Geoff
Correct. Sensor. And also correct, unusual. Usually the sensors don't develop leaks. Wait till it cools, pull the clip with a good grip on some needle nosed pliers (DO NOT DROP IT), and lift the sensor out. From the size of the boss, it looks like it ought to be a #007 o-ring. Take a dial caliper to the o-ring*, obviously they compress, but you can still measure amazingly well, and verify diameter and thickness just to make sure it's not #006 or something other than #007. Then join the fracas of the great, "what material shall we one-up Breville with?" debate. AFLAS, EPDM, Viton, silicone, blah blah blah. AFLAS is supposed to be best with steam. But Breville used silicone (at least for the water tubes, the sensors I'm not so sure). Point being, any of them will work. Some will last longer than others. But since the repair is easy, you have the luxury of just getting a Viton or nitrile at your local True Value or Ace to get back in business, then worry about fiddling with other materials later.

*From other things I know about your mad skills, I'm quite sure you have a dial caliper :wink:

Report back.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

gchapman

#609: Post by gchapman »

Thanks, Peter, once again!

I do indeed have a caliper. Here you go:

The sensor w o-ring:

The OD of the sensor and o-ring:

The thickness of the o-ring:

Would this be an 007?

BTW I cleaned up the o-ring w my fingernails, flipped it and reinstalled it, turned it back on and the leak is quite a bit less, but still there.

Geoff
Geoff Chapman

gchapman

#610: Post by gchapman »

Here is the I.D. Of the ring...

I use these clamping forcepts so I don't lose the clips. Work great:

They are only $6 or so:
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Precision ... 61X3HA54TA

Geoff
Geoff Chapman