Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
*sigh*

#61: Post by *sigh* »

pcrussell50 wrote:For the record, I'm not sure it's hard plastic. I think it's aluminum. It's light like plastic, but aluminum is light. And it's hard and "rings" like aluminum. When I scraped off some of the "bubbles" on mine, it looked like freshly exposed (i.e. not yet oxide layered) aluminum. Do you know for sure that the removable disc is not aluminum?

You're idea that it's galvanic corrosion is a good one. And the stainless screw passes through the disc on it's way to threading into the group head. Don't quote me on this, but if I remember my strength of materials classwork from engineering in college (25 years ago), certain stainless alloys are more reactive with common Al alloys than come carbon steel alloys.

-Peter
My dispersion disk is definitely plastic, but that isn't to say they didn't change the material at some point.

I'll have to see if the replacement I ordered from Breville is the same as my old one.

This site selling a replacement part seems to indicate they did change it at some point due to the issues you've experienced. Maybe the inner shower screen has acted as a sacrificial piece and saved your actual shower head from any issues.

*sigh*

#62: Post by *sigh* »

It looks like they have a refurb en route, or I can only assume as I sent my machine to Illinois and they are shipping a machine back from California. :lol:

I should get it tomorrow, looking forward to being able to pull some shots again!

mrjag

#63: Post by mrjag »

I believe they ship new machines out of California.

Jared

#64: Post by Jared »

I'm imagine you are getting a new machine because I just went through this and they didn't have any refurbs available. :D

*sigh*

#65: Post by *sigh* »

mrjag wrote:I believe they ship new machines out of California.
Jared wrote:I'm imagine you are getting a new machine because I just went through this and they didn't have any refurbs available. :D
I won't complain about that! Was your new one just the bare machine or was it new retail?

Jared

#66: Post by Jared »

Brand new retail. They don't reuse the steam pitcher and portafilter baskets so you are welcome to keep those as well.

*sigh*

#67: Post by *sigh* replying to Jared »

Nice! Did they have you ship the portafilter or any accessories back?

Jared

#68: Post by Jared »

Yeah they want the things like the portafilter, water tank, and drip tray.

*sigh*

#69: Post by *sigh* replying to Jared »

Gotchya. Not that I'm surprised, that's a lot of free accessories. Certainly not the most efficient way to do things, but I appreciate not having to wait for a refurb!

Bret

#70: Post by Bret »

Hmmm... I recently sent mine in (hissing sound inside) and they sent me a shipping box, had me keep all of the removable items (tray, tank, portafilter, etc.) and just ship the body to them. They couldn't repair it (or it wasn't worth repairing) so they are sending me a new one. When I did this a while back, they sent me a new in box replacement with all the goodies, and never requested the older removable items back... They did not request them back this time, either, but I guess when it arrives on Wednesday I'll find out if it comes with all of it. Hard to imagine it is cost effective for them to stock and track partial units.