Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 46

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mrjag

#451: Post by mrjag » Sep 18, 2019, 9:49 pm

Qporzk wrote:I'm curious how you plan to do this, as I have similar plans with a scale I'm building. Are you basically thinking a little relay/FET/SSR in parallel with the Manual button that will trigger at a given weight? Have you come up with an elegant way to route any wires to the control board?
I haven't bought anything yet so this is all early stage brainstorming until I get some free time. The basic idea is to have the scale sit in the drip tray area and have it communicate via Bluetooth to a raspberry pi inside the machine. The communication path between phone apps and small gadgets are typically easy to reverse engineer. There's a lot of space inside the machine at the back left (above the water reservoir) to cleanly mount new equipment, so I'll mount the Pi there and run wires around the perimeter to the front controls. From there I suspect I can use an SSR to trigger the Manual button to control the start/stop. I don't have an electrical background, so if those buttons are too integrated with the control circuit for me to figure out then I'll go with plan B: The micro switch from the water spouts' needle valve is a simple open/close circuit and can be used to cancel the current shot's extraction. It won't be as elegant as having direct start/stop control but it will get the job done.

luvmy40

#452: Post by luvmy40 » Oct 28, 2019, 6:10 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been in an and out of the espresso world for many years. My last machine was an older CMA single group with a massive boiler that I picked up for $50.00 and rebuilt with parts from espressoparts . com at final cost of around $300.00. It was a fantastic machine but was very expensive to run and could be quite temperamental. 45 minutes to heat up, we could not leave it on in the summer and didn't need to run any other heat in the kitchen in the winter! I eventually got rid of it to save the counter space and trim the overhead when the pump finally died. I've been looking for an affordable replacement that would produce decent espresso since.

We've settled for and Areo Presss and electric kettle for a while. I recently picked up a Staresso, portable manual press that works surprisingly well.

Last month my daughter requested a home espresso machine for Christmas so I jumped back in looking for a good home machine under $500 and found the Amazon reviews to be totally useless for reasons you all know. Then I found this forum and this thread specifically. Based on what I've read here, I took a chance on a couple used Breville machines on Craigslist and ebay.

For my daughter, I found a Breville Infuser in excellent cosmetic condition on CL and when I opened it up it was every bit as new looking inside as out. I doubt it has had 50 shots run through it. Then I found a 3 year old Dual Boiler 920XL on ebay for around $600 so I pulled the trigger on that as well for my self. I haven't received the 920 yet but I'll post up what I find when it arrives.

Any way, I guess this is just a long "Thanks for all the info" and "Hello".

lancealot

#453: Post by lancealot » Oct 28, 2019, 8:56 am

Welcome to HB Rich. I hope the new machines work out for you. Let us know if you have questions. Plenty of support here on HB.

Quester

#454: Post by Quester » Oct 28, 2019, 10:39 am

luvmy40 wrote:For my daughter, I found a Breville Infuser in excellent cosmetic condition on CL and when I opened it up it was every bit as new looking inside as out.
My daughter has an Infuser for college. We got it because of the limited counter space and quick warmup time. Here are a couple pointers.

1. The volumetric function doesn't work well on this machine. It also doesn't work well on my BDB either. Get a scale, program the shot for a much higher volume than you want, and then stop it manually.

2. Even though the machine says "ready," run at least one "shot" through the portafilter with just water (no coffee) so it warms up.

Do these two things and this machine will give you repeatable, good shots.

pcrussell50

#455: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 31, 2019, 1:47 pm

Someone in another thread is in a situation where it's time for him to take the cover off and do some routine maintenance. In an effort to keep this thread as a BDB owner resource, I'm going to direct him here, and provide a couple in a GIANT disorganized morass of helpful links, to get him started.

Here goes:
OP, if you are interested in getting started on this, this links provide a LOT of info. More than you need. But enough to get started.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... 603#716603

AND

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espres ... nes/726101

Some basic cover removal pics:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... 9Xa0VVby1n

There is a TON of stuff out there that needs to be compiled. But this should get you started. More help is available for the asking.

At some point I'm going to compile this stuff into a usable format on the first page of this thread.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

pcrussell50

#456: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 31, 2019, 1:52 pm

Here is a gratuitous video clip of my BDB a couple of days ago. It is showing two things. First, the sound look and feel you can expect if you convert to rotary and plumb it in, AND some of the control you can get if you do the Slayer mod. About halfway through, you can see the flow increase rapidly, that is me opening up the needle valve. Towards the final third, you can see me using the needle valve to slow the flow, where a normally eroding puck would come with an increasing flow rate:
There are threads for both the rotary/plumbed mod and the Slayer mod.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

JayThree

#457: Post by JayThree » Nov 10, 2019, 11:26 pm

Thanks Peter and everyone else who has provided so much information on this machine! I'm planning to switch to a brass-necked pump and brass OPV and I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.

First, here are the parts I purchased: Here are my questions about doing the replacement:
  • The thin tube that runs into the OPV (in the top-left of http://nic.steve-tek.com/wp-content/upl ... chment.jpg) has two metal pieces on it. It's my understanding that I'll need to cut the tube above those pieces, then attach the new metal pieces that came with my compression fitting. Is that correct? If so I'll order a replacement tube (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ttube ... 39541.html) so I'm able to revert to stock if I ever want to send the machine in for service.
  • The thicker tube (going out of the right side of the OPV in http://nic.steve-tek.com/wp-content/upl ... chment.jpg) will attach to the bottom of the new OPV and will be secured by the same metal clip that's used to attach it to the stock OPV. Do I need to do anything else to secure that tube to the OPV, or is that metal clip good enough?
  • It's my understanding that I should use PTFE tape on the threads that connect the elbow to the OPV and the OPV to the pump - is that correct?
  • Do I need any o-rings or washers on the connection between the OPV and the pump? I've seen them in some pictures, such as http://nic.steve-tek.com/wp-content/upl ... ersion.jpg which has a black o-ring on that connection, but maybe that's just because that picture is using a plastic-necked pump.
Thanks so much! I've learned a tremendous amount about the BDB through all of you and I really appreciate it. I recently fixed a dripping steam wand and replaced various o-rings on the boilers thanks to all of the information here :)

pcrussell50

#458: Post by pcrussell50 » Nov 11, 2019, 2:31 am

JayThree wrote:Thanks so much! I've learned a tremendous amount about the BDB through all of you and I really appreciate it. I recently fixed a dripping steam wand and replaced various o-rings on the boilers thanks to all of the information here :)
First of all, good on you for this. Well done. Besides using scale free water these are most of what it will take to keep your machine running essentially forever.

JayThree wrote:First, here are the parts I purchased:
More or less it. In the end, before I went rotary and plumbed, I decided not to use a compression fitting because of the tendency for PTFE to act like a super slow liquid and cold flow and squeeze itself out of the compression fitting. Or at least that's what I feared, founded or not. So I used a 1/8 BSP male to 4mm tube, QC (quick connect/push to connect) elbow. Dirt cheap all over ebayZon. Someone here had one fail. Once. Nobody else though, to my knowledge. If you can find a known good brand like John Guest, so much the better.
JayThree wrote:Here are my questions about doing the replacement:
I just cut it in the middle somewhere and if I had to return it, would splice it back together with an inline 4mm PTC connector. The repair shop won't care. But it doesn't hurt to buy a spare T-tube anyway. From ebayZon You should also buy a few feet of 4mm PTFE tubing just to keep around for this or that, to go along with some 4mm PTC/QC connectors. Just to keep in your parts pile.
JayThree wrote:[*]The thicker tube (going out of the right side of the OPV in http://nic.steve-tek.com/wp-content/upl ... chment.jpg) will attach to the bottom of the new OPV and will be secured by the same metal clip that's used to attach it to the stock OPV. Do I need to do anything else to secure that tube to the OPV, or is that metal clip good enough?
Good enough as is. No worries.
JayThree wrote:[*]It's my understanding that I should use PTFE tape on the threads that connect the elbow to the OPV and the OPV to the pump - is that correct?
[*]Do I need any o-rings or washers on the connection between the OPV and the pump? I've seen them in some pictures, such as http://nic.steve-tek.com/wp-content/upl ... ersion.jpg which has a black o-ring on that connection, but maybe that's just because that picture is using a plastic-necked pump.
[/list]
Just PTFE tape on the threads. Brass neck to brass OPV, and tube fitting to brass OPV. No other sealing products needed.

The brass OPV has more volume than the stock one so it takes a few extra seconds to fill before pressure builds at the puck. It's super easy to adjust on with a coin to turn the screw while pumping into a blind basket. No more trial and error. Makes a more solid quieter and more muffled sound.

Looking down the road... Nothing is better than going rotary though. And it's super easy. Super duper easy. But you have to plumb, and you have to remote mount the pump (I put mine under the kitchen sink), like they do in the shops.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

JayThree

#459: Post by JayThree » Nov 11, 2019, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the detailed response, Peter! I am using scale-free water with potassium bicarb, as suggested by you when I purchased the BDB almost 2 years ago :) Other than the dripping steam wand my BDB has been perfect so far. Taking apart the steam valve was a bit difficult due to the threadlocker from the factory, but with a bit of heat from my stove's gas burner and some pipe wrenches I was able to take care of it :)

Rotary currently isn't an option for me because of how my kitchen is set up - it would be far too complicated to run a water line to where the espresso machine is located. Perhaps one day!

pcrussell50

#460: Post by pcrussell50 » Nov 11, 2019, 12:54 pm

Yeah the steam valves... I've done a handful. Some came apart easily requiring no heat. Others juuust enough heat then the threadlocker turned to lubricant and they slipped apart like butter (I used a creme brûlée torch).

When I flipped the seals I did not force them together all the way. Just to the point where the drag when turning the valve "felt right", whatever that means. That way the next time it drips, I might be able to fix it by just tightening a little more instead of disassemble and flip... not that that is particularly hard anyway.

On to group collar replacement... your machine is right on the cusp... go back and look at the group in my video a few posts above. You can see a couple of screw holes in the rim of the group. Is yours like that? Or is it no holes?

-Peter
LMWDP #553