Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 38

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#371: Post by BaristaBob »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I received a replacement. The machine is brand new. I removed the shower screen and the coating is still perfect. I will check for flacking every week or two.

<image>
Monte,

Am I to understand you sent your old 920xl to Breville for the group head paint peeling issue...and they sent you a new machine!? :shock:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Moka 1 Cup

#372: Post by Moka 1 Cup replying to BaristaBob »

Correct.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

BaristaBob

#373: Post by BaristaBob replying to Moka 1 Cup »

That's interesting...I might see what Breville says if I decide to file a claim. My machine is three years old (one year past warranty), only problem over that whole time has been a leaky steam ball valve...which I DIY'ed in less than a hour. Since I'm a bit of a clean freak, I've noticed this problem with the grouphead plate very early on...like you. A new machine would give me some key machine upgrades...will have to think about this. Even if I have to spend the $350-$400...it might be worth it. I don't think they will just replace this part...based on what they told you!

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#374: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

I think we have to accept that the flaking coating on the bottom of the group head is not a one-off, and is going to be a fact of life going forward with this machine. Every one of us is going to have to weigh our tolerance for it against other things, such as the performance versus cost of the machine, or if you "Slay" (flow profile) it, there are very few machines at any price that can duplicate it.

I made my peace with it through rational analysis. It's not the same thing as the non-stick coating peeling off of a frying pan when you make your omelette:
1) it does not create food (espresso) temperatures above boiling
2) there is no way for flakes to propagate through a puck, then through the basket, to get into your body

These are my thoughts. It is up to the user to weigh your own concerns and make your decisions.

The only other thing I will add, is that Breville:
1) is aware of this issue
2) has a track record of being responsive, with small design changes

HTH

Bob, I agree with you that Breville will probably not want to replace your group head. You will probably get a new (or factory refurb) machine with all the updates. But that means you will have the new group collar design, and you might want your two piece collar inserts back ;)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Moka 1 Cup

#375: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Honestly I was very hesitant about contacting them because my machine was working perfectly, and when you get a ne new one "you never know".
However what convinced me was the fact that after using the brush some of the material came off.
Anyhow, it's done, now I'm curious to see how and if the flacking will happen with the new unit.
Regarding the service, it's outstanding. The rep was cordial and professional. It took not more than 30 minutes and I received a shipping label while we were on the phone. Probably the fact that I had already filed a claim online the day before made it faster.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

BaristaBob

#376: Post by BaristaBob »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Honestly I was very hesitant about contacting them because my machine was working perfectly, and when you get a ne new one "you never know".
However what convinced me was the fact that after using the brush some of the material came off.
Monte and Peter,

I've attached a pic of my group head base plate. Honestly, it does not look as bad as Monte's and mine is three years old, on a heavily used machine since day one. I feel like Monte, my machine works perfectly, as I said, the only thing I've had to replace is the steam ball valve. I suppose I'm getting close to needing to replace some o-rings, but I have a whole bag of those if/when that happens. When I replaced the ball valve, I replaced all the o-rings into and out from the valve, and back to the steam boiler...so that work is done (just preventative maintenance). Not sure I want to test the waters and receive a new machine from Breville (most likely it would be new since mine is the Sesame Black version), since it appears to be one of those well made machines...like assembled on a Wednesday?! :lol:

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#377: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Bob, did you replace your ball valve with a new one? Or fix the drip by flipping the seals? If the former, hold on to your old valve and flip the seals... Turns out this ball valve is user-serviceable, and flipping the seals is the way to go. Of course since the seals are a standard size, you could buy a lifetime supply of brand new seals for under $10 delivered, but why not save the $9? Flipping the old seals is the same fix.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#378: Post by BaristaBob replying to pcrussell50 »

Hi Peter,
I replaced the ball valve with a new one, however, based on your previous comments I disassembled the old valve and flipped the seals for future use. It was dirt easy, as my ball valve came apart easily. I recently ordered a new valve from eReplacement Parts...back ordered of course.

If I decide to submit a request to Breville concerning the group head plate issue (big if), I'll swap out the new valve for the rebuild one, and of course, remove my precious nanocoated IMS shower screen.

houseforus

#379: Post by houseforus »

I just got a new 920 in the mail. How do I tell if it's the latest variant?

Jake_G
Team HB

#380: Post by Jake_G »

Pop the top and send us a picture of the brew boiler from above. The latest version will have large hex nuts on the fittings from the HX and to the brew solenoid.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704