Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 34

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Moka 1 Cup

#331: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

pcrussell50 wrote: .......
If your water has no Ca or Mg to start, and none in what you mix into it, I'm not sure how your test kit would measure it's presence? This is definitely a question for the water forum here at HB. Because you have me stumped.
Answer here: Breville Dual Boiler in Atlanta, and I don't want to descale?

In short your doubts were justified and my numbers did not make any sense, other than for the KH value.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

klund

#332: Post by klund »

I've been monitoring but not contributing to these threads for a while now. Just wanted to jump in and say that my machine is waiting to go back to Breville for servicing. Sprung a leak in what seemed to be an inaccessible location, and it shorted out a fuse. They were kind enough to not charge me anything, I assume because this is the 4th time I'm doing this.

Three weeks of Keurig or drip for me.

Advertisement
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#333: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Kev!

Sorry to hear about that. Can you elaborate on the leak? Is it the side fill on the steam boiler? If you don't use scale free water those can get crudded up with scale and start leaking much more often. Mine was clean and leak free after six straight years of service, which I attribute to using scale free water.

On another note, remember that ratty old leaky steam valve you sent me? I "fixed" it and I've been using it in my nearly new -920 for the last couple of months and it hasn't leaked a drop. The fix is free and easy and does not require any new parts. You can read more about it in the "ball valve" thread. I credited you for supplying it to me ;)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

klund

#334: Post by klund »

Hello Peter! I see that you are keeping up the good fight for us BDB users!

I have only used non-scale water on my machine, and I've only had this one for 2 (?) years, so that really shouldn't be it. It is definitely steam boiler side, but very hard to see. And after it popped and blew a fuse, I decided to give up.

I'm glad that steam valve is in use! I still have a nice, shiny spare, but this machine hasn't need a replacement .... yet.

#335: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

"Keeping up the good fight". LOL. I feel like a fraud on that front after I started looking into what it takes to keep a Slayer or a GS/3 or many E61's running. We have it so good with the BDB, there are few words.

I actually hoarded up a couple of spare ball valves myself. But after what we learned about the inherently serviceable nature of these things, I doubt they will be needed going forward.

Breville is not very communicative about specifics in odd repair cases like yours. And that's a bummer because it may be something we can all learn from. If they share any useful info please share with us.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

gchapman

#336: Post by gchapman »

klund wrote:Sprung a leak in what seemed to be an inaccessible location, and it shorted out a fuse.
Kevin, how long had you owned your BDB?
Three weeks of Keurig or drip for me...
Ugh!! ;-) Why not pour-overs?

Geoff
Geoff Chapman

klund

#337: Post by klund »

gchapman wrote:Kevin, how long had you owned your BDB?
Well, I originally purchased the BDB over 7 years ago. However, this is my 3rd different unit. I got this as a warranty replacement on September of 2017. So this particular unit lasted 18 months. Since this is the 4th time I've sent a machine in for repair they very kindly waived any charges for me (In 2015 I spent the $350 for repair).
gchapman wrote:Ugh!! ;-) Why not pour-overs?
Because I'm not buying any more coffee equipment. I actually broke out my moka pot this morning, which was a nice change. And I will also now drink coffee at work, so it won't be only Keurig.

Advertisement

#338: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Kev. For alternatives to espresso you've got to have an Aeropress too, mate. :)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

klund

#339: Post by klund »

pcrussell50 wrote:Kev. For alternatives to espresso you've got to have an Aeropress too, mate. :)
You're killing me!

No, I will resist. I will just have crappy coffee for the next 3 weeks. It is the penance I must serve for sticking with the BDB for all of these years.

jchung

#340: Post by jchung replying to klund »

For true penance, you must buy your coffee from 7-11 after the carafe has had a chance to sit on the burner for 3 hours.