Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 30

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BobStern

#291: Post by BobStern »

I'm not really concerned with dismissing the Descale message or with how the machine decides when to display it.

The reason for my question is to assess whether the machine was serviced per Breville's commitment. They state that the flat fee service includes descaling. I just wanted to verify that the Descale message during warmup is not normal.

BaristaBob

#292: Post by BaristaBob replying to BobStern »

Bob,
I would give Breville customer service a call and tell them exactly what's happening.

Just my suggestion.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

DaveB

#293: Post by DaveB »

BobStern wrote:I'm not really concerned with dismissing the Descale message. [snip]
Many of us are, hence the posts on how to dismiss it.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

BobStern

#294: Post by BobStern »

BaristaBob wrote:I would give Breville customer service a call and tell them exactly what's happening.
I'll call Monday.

My post about the Descale message preceded my adding water to the machine and testing it. I started a new topic with my results:
Breville After-Warranty Service - please post your experiences

BobStern

#295: Post by BobStern »

Replacing the Group Collar Insert

I just found these instructions on iFixIt for a 900. Would my first generation 920 be identical?

Are there any steps that are trickier or more difficult than they appear?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Breville+D ... uide/40279

If I had seen this I would have done it myself instead of paying $300 and losing use of my machine for a month.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#296: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Thanks for sharing, Bob.

The worry here is that what you are seeing is the old style plastic collar insert, which they no longer use, and appears to be no longer available. Your alternative now is the fork over the $102 for the latest group, which will also have the latest group collar (the one that is easy and quick to change).

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/group ... 39503.html

If you look at the pictures, you will see that it has the four screws embedded in the bottom of the rim of the group. That is the latest design, and that is how you would change the plastic inserts going forward. It also comes with a new portafilter, which seems a waste, but you can buy a 58mm carbide grit hole saw and drill the bottom out of it and have an extra bottomless. I did that. Easier than it seems as long as you use something better than a wimpy battery drill.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BobStern

#297: Post by BobStern »

Thanks very much Peter! Are you sure that's the correct group for the 920? The website you linked says it is only for the 900, not the 920, whereas they specify many other parts as fitting both machines.

#298: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to BobStern »

It does say that. But I suspect ereplacementparts catalogging system is overwhelmed. They have many parts listed for -900 that also fit the -920. Since Breville hasn't really changed their legendary brew path, only various little things re repair and maintenance, I can't imagine it wouldn't fit. I also can't imagine Breville would make a group to "upgrade" a -900, which they no longer service. It may simply be that Breville is selling it as the latest repair part and ereplacementparts catalog didn't automatically update. Anyway they have pretty good customer service. If it turns out to be wrong, as long as you haven't mangled it, I can't imagine they wouldn't take back.

If it's not the one with four little screws around the bottom of the rim, it's not the latest and it's not the one pictured. The one pictured is the one you want. Further evidence is the portafilter is also the notched version, for the -920 group.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#299: Post by BaristaBob »

pcrussell50 wrote:The 1REC1 is a a size #006. What I and the others who have had longer term success have used is size #007. That right there could be the cause of your short longevity.

Where do you use the 1REC5? That's a #10, and far too big for any of the water tubes. Maybe the sensors? It is rare for the stock sensors to leak.

-Peter
Hey Peter,

I too ordered the 1REC1 and the 1REC5 o-rings based on this post below to have on hand in the event of a leak (none yet 3 years in). I want to have the "best" o-rings on hand so that when I need to do this job it's done right the first time. Are you saying the 1REC1 (#006) are not really the correct o-rings and that the 1REC2 (#007) are the better choice? Just following up for clarification, since "you-da-man" on this type of repair! 8)

Breville Double Boiler leaks & o-ring replacement
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

#300: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Hi Bob! Our resident "iron man" for leak-free BDB's.

I've only ever used #007 o-rings for any of the PTFE tubes, including the ones you would plug and play re route for flow profiling through the needle valve. I have read and seen YouTube video where some people think they need #006 rings. I've never used #006 and never had a leak. Though I can fully see how using a#006 where a #007 is called for, will lead to an early seal failure. Less, so the other way around so using #007 might be erring on the side of caution. If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, start talking about materials. Some people say that EPDM is the way to go, based on application charts. But I think Breville used silicone. And there's Viton, too. IIRC, none are an exact match from the application charts. IMHO I wouldn't be afraid to use any of them. I have some of each that I've collected over the years.

If/when you need to re seal your steam ball valve, the stem for the handle uses a #008 ring. But the steam ball valves don't always leak steam through the stem. Though it's not unheard of.

-Peter
LMWDP #553