Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 29

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Mar 22, 2019, 6:17 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:is this the mod you guys are referring to?

Brew pressure experiments with Breville Dual Boiler

Yes, this is the mod that does pressure profiling the crude but effective way that the GS/3 MP does it. It does not use the needle valve, the way Slayer and the latest in BDB hotness does it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » replying to pcrussell50 » Mar 22, 2019, 7:49 pm

Thanks. That seems to be the way to go for me.
I'm not sure I want to start swapping pipes and ending up with leakes all over the places. I'm ok with mechanics but not really when it comes to plumbing and hydraulics :mrgreen: .
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

gchapman

Postby gchapman » Mar 22, 2019, 9:38 pm

Hmm. Thanks... Looks like I better study those photos a bit more carefully!!! Better have a good shot of espresso first ;-)
Will keep you all posted.
Geoff Chapman

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 24, 2019, 11:48 am

I don't remember if it was in this thread or in another one ("slayer shot"?) that somebody mentioned a mirror.
I found this one on Amazon for $14 and it's of the right length for attaching it to the tamper (which I can also rotate when I need to move the mirror out of the way).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HNJF3 ... asin_image

Spitz.me

Postby Spitz.me » replying to Moka 1 Cup » Mar 26, 2019, 2:13 pm

Genius! I don't put the tamper in there, but I'm loving the idea.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

jchung

Postby jchung » Mar 26, 2019, 2:19 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I don't remember if it was in this thread or in another one ("slayer shot"?) that somebody mentioned a mirror.
I found this one on Amazon for $14 and it's of the right length for attaching it to the tamper (which I can also rotate when I need to move the mirror out of the way).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HNJF3 ... asin_image

<image>

I use this mirror https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z6842W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I remove the Breville tamper and put this in instead. fits perfectly. And its a larger mirror.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 26, 2019, 2:30 pm

Nice. I was undecided between the 2" and the 3" mirror but I decided to go for the small one. But it works OK. Probably because I use a small 7g basket :lol: .

BobStern

Postby BobStern » Mar 29, 2019, 8:17 pm

Descale indicator?

I just got my 920 back from service after expiration of the warranty. (I'll post separately on that experience.)

Question: I cannot remember under what conditions the Descale message displays. After servicing, the machine now displays "Descale" while it is warming up, but the message disappears after it warms up to the set temperature.

Is displaying the Descale message only during initial warmup the normal indication that descaling is due, or does the Descale message continue displaying even after warmup if descaling has been neglected?

If the former, I'll complain that they failed to service my machine completely because the machine still indicates that it has not been descaled.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Mar 29, 2019, 9:53 pm

I'm pretty sure there isn't a scale detector in the machine and the "de scale" prompt comes up after a certain number of pump runs over seven seconds, or total seconds of pump run or something like that.

I'll have to start with the (dis)qualifier that I have never de scaled my -920 and I don't ever plan to. Not only because of the stories of de scaling's gone wrong, but because I use scale free water like LaMarzocco recommends or like the shops with their commercial machines, so take with a grain of salt...

Something I read on the Aussie forum said this machine likes "threes". What you might try is unplug, tap the power switch. Plug back in. Do factory reset by holding the 1 cup button while pressing the power button. "Reset" will appear in the window. Press the "menu" button and the machine will factory reset and ask for your water hardness (which I set to lowest). Do the whole factory reset as described, three times ("Breville rule of threes ").

I do three consecutive factory resets about once a month in order to avoid getting the "de scale" prompt.

And hey, report back how it goes, would you? I'm curious.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Mar 29, 2019, 11:15 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:Something I read on the Aussie forum said this machine likes "threes". What you might try is unplug, tap the power switch. Plug back in. Do factory reset by holding the 1 cup button while pressing the power button. "Reset" will appear in the window. Press the "menu" button and the machine will factory reset and ask for your water hardness (which I set to lowest). Do the whole factory reset as described, three times ("Breville rule of threes ").

I do three consecutive factory resets about once a month in order to avoid getting the "de scale" prompt.

I read somewhere that simply unplugging the machine for 10 minutes and then doing the reset once (as described above) takes care of it. This worked for me the last two times I got the descale message. You might want to try it this way first.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet