Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 26

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Mar 14, 2019, 3:55 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Regarding the temperature shown on the display, I have a question. No matter how many cups I brew in a row, it never changes, like the sistem has really the ability to constantly maintain the temperature at the set point. Is it really the case?
I know it's a PID but I was expecting to see some up and down, like it happens with the Auber PID that is tipically instalked on the Gaggia's.

This is an area of great misunderstanding re the BDB. According to Phil McKnight, the temp in the display does not correspond to any particular temperature sensor or boiler. It is simply the temperature you would like to see on a Scace test. Another way to put it would be, the temperature you would like to see in your coffee puck.

So it will never change, unless you change it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 14, 2019, 4:03 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:This is an area of great misunderstanding re the BDB....... ... Another way to put it would be, the temperature you would like to see in your coffee puck.

-Peter

Well, yes and no. I mean, since it was not changing during brewing I thought it was a just a set value, but it is also true that it changes during the ramp up. So it was sort of misleading.
Thank you for clarifying it.

johnny4lsu wrote:Do you realize that it has a built-in feature to start up at any time you wish? No need for a smart plug :D

Yes, I am also using that feature, but I cannot turn it on while, for example, I am on the way back to home. Fixing my espresso was the second thing I used to do after opening the door. Now I have to wait 15 minutes :D .
The other thing is that it cannot be programmed for multiple times of the day or different times for different days of the week. All things that I was used to do with the smart plug, but that would not work with the BDB.
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

johnny4lsu

Postby johnny4lsu » Mar 14, 2019, 4:04 pm

Ahhhhhh gotcha!! Sorry for misunderstanding you.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Mar 14, 2019, 4:27 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Well, yes and no. I mean, since it was not changing during brewing I thought it was a just a set value, but it is also true that it changes during the ramp up. So it was sort of misleading.
Thank you for clarifying it.

Point taken. It does display numbers during warmup.

Also true that it's too "smart" for a smart plug. Not sure how to get around that.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Mar 14, 2019, 5:17 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Now I have to wait 15 minutes

More like 8 minutes.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

maximatica

Postby maximatica » Mar 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:On Amazon there is an open box available for about $930 shipped.

If that is the private seller and not the Amazon warehouse unit, I almost went for that but the guy answered 1 email saying it was a "late" build (rather than quote me the serial no. as I had asked) and then did not answer the next email so I decided to go with a new unit at BBAB.

The unit I got from BBAB is a build 1852 so, very new.

M./

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Mar 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:This is an area of great misunderstanding re the BDB. According to Phil McKnight, the temp in the display does not correspond to any particular temperature sensor or boiler. It is simply the temperature you would like to see on a Scace test. Another way to put it would be, the temperature you would like to see in your coffee puck.

-Peter

To add to Moka's reply.
It will also blink if it is out of range. If you turn it on and as soon as it is up to temp you start running the water pump, either flushing for long periods or running the tap for 30 seconds or longer, the temp will start blinking when you stop the pump. Also, if you let it fully come to temp for say 30 minutes, then pull a super long shot, like 90 seconds or more, it will blink when you are done.

I think it blinks when the boiler water temp is out of range. In my first example the water in the brew boiler becomes too low because you have not let everything get super hot especially the steam boiler, and the heat exchanger in the steam boiler cannot do it's job of pre-heating the brew water before it gets to the brew boiler. In my second example, I think it blinks because it is too hot. The water was spending too much time in the fully heated up steam boiler as it went through the heat exchanger and it is over heating the water in the brew boiler.

jchung

Postby jchung » Mar 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:It is much (much much) easier just to change the boiler o-rings every couple of years. Then the GFCI will not only not trip a little less often, it will not trip, ever. Routine maintenance. All machines need differing versions of it. Coming to grips with the o-ring and hairpin clip plumbing arrangement will serve you well for pretty much all the other DIY jobs if you don't want to send your machine back to Breville for every little thing.

A little fun bar room trivia... beginning in 2018, Breville did away with the o-rings for the water tubes on top of the boilers and went to another scheme (compression tube nuts), that looks to be less prone to eventual leaks.

-Peter

I'm having to change the O-rings every several months. Just did it again yesterday after having changed them late last year.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » replying to jchung » Mar 14, 2019, 6:58 pm

Very interesting. Of what material are the o-rings you are using? And more importantly, are they size #007?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

jchung

Postby jchung » replying to pcrussell50 » Mar 14, 2019, 7:16 pm

They are 1/8 id 1/4 od p/n 1REC1 and 1/4 id 3/8 od p/n 1REC5 from Grainger.