Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 25

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#241: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Tony's words are not to be taken lightly, if for no other reason than the fact that he differs from the typical BDB user in that he has not only had top notch equipment prior to the BDB, but if you read back through his posts over the years, they tend to be very serious and on-point, with questions asked from a critical and rational perspective. IME, he does not give praise lightly, or simply for the sake of it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

johnny4lsu

#242: Post by johnny4lsu »

Peter is definitely the champ. I purchased mine because of his efforts. Glad I did! My previous E61 pales in comparison.

maximatica

#243: Post by maximatica »

mrjag wrote:BDB is back at costco for $1k - https://www.costco.com/Breville-Dual-Bo ... 89549.html
Well, someone posted that they got BBAB to price match a 1 day sale at Amazon and then *also* do their 20% off and essentially stole :D a BDB.

So, it would be worth a shot if you are a Costco member. If they will do both price adjustments it would have saved me another $200 vs. the $1139 I just paid OTD at BBAB. And that would have included me re-upping my membership which has lapsed.

In my opinion the BBAB employee probably goofed up when he did both promos one on top of the other but I also have a friend who used to be able to do that type of stuff at Sears and was always getting $500 appliances for like $150 by daisy-chaining promos together.

So, any lurkers on this thread should give it go if you are on the fence. I mean the veterans this thread are not funnin' 'ya , it's a tremendous machine.

Going from an E61 to the BDB is like getting out of jail :D

M./

maximatica

#244: Post by maximatica »

I just tried to log into Costco to take a screenshot of the page with price to post here but they won't show the price without my membership number so I can't as I used to overspend there and have stayed away since 2014.

But if someone else does that and attaches a PDF that might be all that is needed for someone else to get a deep deal on a unit at BBAB.

I can't be the only guy that has been following this thread while deciding on whether to jump in (and the water is fine :D )

Best,

M./

jchung

#245: Post by jchung »

jchung

#246: Post by jchung »

I was contemplating boiler leaks and GFCI tripping... and realized... the controller is poorly positioned on the lid of the BDB. Has anyone considered moving it to the left side ? I imagine it would make the controller less susceptible to leaking boilers and trip the GFCI a little less often.

Moka 1 Cup

#247: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

On Amazon there is an open box available for about $930 shipped.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#248: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

jchung wrote:I was contemplating boiler leaks and GFCI tripping... and realized... the controller is poorly positioned on the lid of the BDB. Has anyone considered moving it to the left side ? I imagine it would make the controller less susceptible to leaking boilers and trip the GFCI a little less often.
It is much (much much) easier just to change the boiler o-rings every couple of years. Then the GFCI will not only not trip a little less often, it will not trip, ever. Routine maintenance. All machines need differing versions of it. Coming to grips with the o-ring and hairpin clip plumbing arrangement will serve you well for pretty much all the other DIY jobs if you don't want to send your machine back to Breville for every little thing.

A little fun bar room trivia... beginning in 2018, Breville did away with the o-rings for the water tubes on top of the boilers and went to another scheme (compression tube nuts), that looks to be less prone to eventual leaks.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Moka 1 Cup

#249: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I'm in the second week of use of the BDB and I'm super happy!

The only think I'm sort of missing is the possibility of turning it on remotely with a smart plug. Fortunately it does not take long to reach brew temperature.

Regarding the temperature shown on the display, I have a question. No matter how many cups I brew in a row, it never changes, like the sistem has really the ability to constantly maintain the temperature at the set point. Is it really the case?
I know it's a PID but I was expecting to see some up and down, like it happens with the Auber PID that is tipically instalked on the Gaggia's.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

johnny4lsu

#250: Post by johnny4lsu »

Do you realize that it has a built-in feature to start up at any time you wish? No need for a smart plug :D