Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 22

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LatteAddict

#211: Post by LatteAddict »

Hi folks,

Long time lurker with a question. Has anybody attempted to mod a BDB for weight based dosing?

My thought would be using a raspberry pi connected to an Acaia Lunar via Bluetooth to stop the machine after x grams. So either using the pi to interrupt one of the buttons, or (far fetched) using the pi to replace the stock control unit. The second would open up a lot of avenues for programmatic control and shot logging.

I have plenty of software experience but no hardware/embedded systems experience. Anyone have any opinions??

Winnipeg85

#212: Post by Winnipeg85 »

Hi,

I've my BDB for almost 5 years and haven't done anything to it. I'm thinking of being proactive and ordering some parts but I'm having trouble finding part numbers or specifics in this post.

1 - Solenoid from ereplacementparts is in stock no problem
2 - Brass pump - where are ppl buying there's? Part no?
3 - Brass opv - same questions
4 - group head gasket - not at ereplacement
5 - references to o-rings and amazon but does anyone have any specifics?

If there's anything else recommended for maintenance I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Matthew

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#213: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Winnipeg85 »

2) Ulka EX5. I got mine on Amazon for $26. The stock one is Ulka EP5. There are other Ulka pumps with longer duty cycles and more power. I have not tried them.

3) Any prosumer Brass OPV. I used one from a Vibiemme DD that I got from Stefanos. You will need to get the fittings for 4mm tubing, to attach the 4mm Breville tubing to the OPV. In the case of the Vibiemme OPV, it was a single 1/8" BSP-to-4mm tubing adapter. I used "quick connect" but you can use compression too. Ebay or Amazon for the fittings.

4) Breville sells the group gasket directly from their site. BUT these are extremely durable. Are you sure you need one?

5) Size #007 o-rings. If you have gone five years without them, you are on borrowed time before a leak. Either that or you have a leak already but no negative symptoms. The o-ring material is a matter of debate. My opinion (and others differ) is that you can use any material here. I used silicone because I think that's what Breville used. Don't expect more than 2-3 years between o-ring replacement. Fortunately, it's easy.

If you can get a steam ball valve (search for that thread), you probably need one of those, too. I be shocked if you don't have a little drip from your wand.

Unless you are gentle and use bare minimum torque when twisting in your portafilter, you may wear out your group collar. For your older group, those are not available (or are hard to find). If you wear out your plastic group collar insert, it's probably time to pony up the $350 repair bill, and they will address everything. Lately, people have been getting brand new machines in return. Although that's not a guarantee. Are you getting leaking around the group while under pressure? If so it's statistically more likely a worn collar than a worn group gasket.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553
★ Helpful

Winnipeg85

#214: Post by Winnipeg85 »

Thank you very much for the info!

I think I'll go ahead with the o-rings for now. Being in Canada you always get hammered on shipping and exchange rates so it might be worth saving my money for a full repair/replace. I'm really having my no noticeable issues. Steam valve isn't leaking, no issue at the group head, I guess I figured it would eventually need replacing.

Again, I appreciate the reference information.

Cheers
Matthew

#215: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

You should do the boiler o-rings at this point, no matter what. Also, that will force you to open up your machine for a look around. If the boiler o-rings are leaking, you will see dried water spots or corrosion of the steel parts.

I'm not sure of Breville Canada's specific policy, but I do know they use the same call center as Breville USA. When I called for repairs on my old -900, it was handled by an agent in Canada. In the USA, the $350 repair or replace, INCLUDED shipping both ways. It's a steal of a deal. They even offered to send me a Breville box with the form-fitted foam packing. But I had saved mine, so I didn't need to wait for that.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

maximatica

#216: Post by maximatica »

jchung wrote:Brand new... don't pay more than $1040 (+ taxes & SH). And I believe you can get cheaper than that at some places.
Just wondering about the above statement of about $1040 for the BDB. I don't find any pricing near that figure, $1140 or so for a unit in black seems to be the closest.

Anyone have a pointer towards a site with that type of price?

Thanks,

M./

jchung

#217: Post by jchung replying to maximatica »

Bed Bath & Beyond has a 20% off coupon. It's easy to get. Pick up any catalog or sign up for enail notifications from their website. The coupon lists Breville as an exclusion but it's still accepted at the brick and mortar store. So the most someone living in the US and reasonably close to a Bed Bath and Beyond should pay so $1300 - 20% = $1040 + tax + SH.

It's my understanding that sometimes Costco has it for less.

johnny4lsu

#218: Post by johnny4lsu »

$1099 free shipping. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1758143738

If you're patient you can easily find one for $999 shipped.

jchung

#219: Post by jchung »

I like Bed Bath and Beyond for their superb return policy. Just make sure you keep the original packaging and receipt.

#220: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

jchung wrote: It's my understanding that sometimes Costco has it for less.
Somebody said that the Costco ones are older ones that are being cleared out. Performance wise that is not a bad thing. There have been no changes to the brew path since the very first -900 BDB in late 2011. Most of the changes have been small maintainability things like potentially better tube seals, easier group collar changes, etc... Further, if Costco gets them again, they will probably be up to date since the latest versions (that I know of) were early-mid 2018.

I had a late 2012 -900 that lasted me until summer 2018 before I sent it in for the $350 repair or replace and they sent me a brand new -920. So it's not like the older versions can't be maintained or last.

-Peter
LMWDP #553