Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 160

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slopefox

#1591: Post by slopefox »

I'm a total newbie on this forum and machine but something in your post caught my attention and I wonder if it might influence in your temp. issue.
You mention you are using RO water and as far as I know there are no minerals in it (unless you add them afterward) and I think that might influence the sensors that need conductivity in the water?
Ad I mentioned in a total newbie so take this with a costal of salt...

lancealot

#1592: Post by lancealot »

I think you should replace the pump. I'm almost 100% sure the gurgling is caused by leaky o rings. Replace all those. Between these things and the solenoid, you might be in good shape!

cymertony

#1593: Post by cymertony »

slopefox wrote:I'm a total newbie on this forum and machine but something in your post caught my attention and I wonder if it might influence in your temp. issue.
You mention you are using RO water and as far as I know there are no minerals in it (unless you add them afterward) and I think that might influence the sensors that need conductivity in the water?
Ad I mentioned in a total newbie so take this with a costal of salt...
Just checked and I was mistaken, it is not an RO system. AO whole house filtration system: Pre-filter, whole house filter, and descaler.

Thanks,
Tony

cymertony

#1594: Post by cymertony »

lancealot wrote:I think you should replace the pump. I'm almost 100% sure the gurgling is caused by leaky o rings. Replace all those. Between these things and the solenoid, you might be in good shape!
Makes sense to me. I will continue the o-ring tour and order a pump. Solenoid too, I think.

Thanks,
Tony

cptclutch

#1595: Post by cptclutch »

Finally decided to send my unit back after having some issues and they determined it cannot be repaired and gave me 30% off a new unit which would still be more expensive than what I paid for mine back in 2018. Guess I'll get it shipped back and try to replace as much as I can on my own. Disappointed I missed the cutoff for the 400$ replacement...

GymbroJones

#1596: Post by GymbroJones »

So, I emptied my water tank after three weeks today and noticed what could be cockroach, or some other similar insect, droppings in the water.

First of all, foul.

Second of all, where would they be entering? I imagine through the drip tray? Or the back of the machine where the slots are? Apart from obviously trying to get rid of them, would putting a tea towel over the tray prevent entry like this, or is there another possible entry point?

austinmrs

#1597: Post by austinmrs »

Hi everyone!

First, thanks for all this info!

I'm planning to install a "Jake Valve" on my Dual boiler. Besides changing the valve, I want to keep everything else stock, so I want to still use the "Knob" that came with it. I know I need to 3D print some parts, and I found these .stl files:
https://github.com/qporzk/BDB-Slayer/tr ... Models/STL

I assume to keep everything stock, I would need to print all files that start with "Stock Assembly".

But I noticed that some files are "pieces" I already have. The ones I know I need to print:
  • Stock Assembly_Adapter Shaft_7.stl
  • Stock Assembly_Adapter Body_6.stl

The others I'm not sure?
  • Stock Assembly_Knob_2.stl (seems to be the same stock knob I already have)
  • Stock Assembly_V-Bracket_3.stl (seems like a piece I already have in the machine)
  • Stock Assembly_Insert_1.stl (seems like a piece I already have)
  • Stock Assembly_H-Bracket_4.stl (seems like the mount I already have inside)
Would really appreciate some help from someone who did it already.

DaveB

#1598: Post by DaveB »

I tend to let the water in the reservoir go all the way down before refilling, as there's some mechanism to prevent a shot from cutting off mid-extraction. Normally the "fill tank" prompt will come on during the last shot, preventing further shots until reservoir is refilled. Lately the shots have been getting cut off when the water gets too low. Looking at my spare reservoir, there's a a round disc that appears to be a float. I'm trying to figure out what has changed, in order to diagnose the problem. Any ideas how the float interacts with the system?

Here's a short video showing float:
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

lancealot

#1599: Post by lancealot »

My hunch is that it is some kind of magnet.

fruitpunch_ben

#1600: Post by fruitpunch_ben »

Hi Guys,
Excellent thread thank you.
I have a Breville Dual Boiler 920 that's about 7 years old.
It's been sent for repair at 2 and 6 years old, the last time cost me $600. 9 months later it started leaking steam and now it won't turn on. I know, I should have opened it up and checked.

Anyway my question is this: I assume some electronics have shorted out. Is it worth trying to repair or should I buy a new one? .

I've spent the weekend looking at other machines, and the price/features of the Dual Boiler can't be beaten, even though a new one on sale will cost me DOUBLE what I paid on sale in 2016. A roughly equivalent profitec 600 will cost an extra $1000 and will presumably still require maintenance which I'll have to pay for.

If I buy a new one and it dies after 6 years I'll be doubly annoyed, although this time around I've committed to more preventative maintenance. And I've heard reports that they are manufactured better with less o-rings now?