Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 155

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#1541: Post by luvmy40 »

ChannelingTatum wrote:Long time lurker here. Have a 1year old BDB 920. Steam level probe ceramic feedthroughs all leak.

Took the probes out and it didn't even seem like there were o-rings inside the ceramic part. Very loose. Did Breville ship some units missing the orings entirely?

I replaced the other steam orings myself. Should I buy the tiny silicone 5x2x1.5mm orings and install them myself? Do you use tweezers to pull them up over the thicker metal bit at the bottom of the ceramic piece?

Or do folks advise just buying entirely new level probe assemblies.

Thanks in advance.
I'd put new o-rings on the probes. Much cheaper than new probes and not much more work than changing the probes. I use a tooth pick to stretch the o-ring over the ridge.

dehydrator9999

#1542: Post by dehydrator9999 »

I had a leak issue with my BDB, and had to take the steam boiler out last summer and recently in March. During my last repair, I thoroughly acid washed the boiler, and when looking inside the boiler I found no scale deposit 7 months later. I attribute this to my use of Pavlis water. Hallelujah to Dr. Pavlis!

Peter, did he pass away? I saw your RIP in parentheses.

pcrussell50 wrote:A user asked a good question in another thread about periodic draining of the steam boiler to dilute mineral buildup:

To which I answer for my for my own particular case: In the case of my particular BDB, I have it plumbed, which means that I can't/don't mix my own "Pavlis water". I use a smaller, home version of a commercial espresso softening filter like they use in the shops: like this one: https://www.restaurantsupply.com/3m-esp ... n-capacity

Over time, this filter's effectiveness at scale reduction fades. That means some scale minerals will eventually pass. My machine does not get scaled up because I don't let it get that far before changing softening cartridges. But I do drain my boiler periodically to reduce concentration of minerals. Not for scale buildup, but because some minerals might be suspended in the water without actually scaling up the machine.

However, if you mix your own Pavlis water, 50-100mg/l of potassium bicarbonate or baking soda (both work a treat), into distilled water, as long as your distilled water is really what is claimed on the label, there should be no minerals at all in it. It remains up to you (the user), to decide if you want to do periodic steam boiler drains just for good measure.

Now, I am a huge fan of Pavlis water, and I use it religiously in my non-plumbed, hand-filled La Pavoni lever machines.

HTH

-Peter

luvmy40

#1543: Post by luvmy40 »

dehydrator9999 wrote:I had a leak issue with my BDB, and had to take the steam boiler out last summer and recently in March. During my last repair, I thoroughly acid washed the boiler, and when looking inside the boiler I found no scale deposit 7 months later. I attribute this to my use of Pavlis water. Hallelujah to Dr. Pavlis!

Peter, did he pass away? I saw your RIP in parentheses.
To the best of my knowledge, Peter is alive and well, just otherwise preoccupied and not spending much time here these days.
The (RIP) was most likely referring to Dr. Pavlis.

dehydrator9999

#1544: Post by dehydrator9999 replying to luvmy40 »

Ah, yes. I meant to ask Peter, the owner of this thread, if Dr. Pavlis passed away. My bad in not making it clear.

Great guy... I had my doubts on the Pavlis water, but that doubt is proven unnecessary.

boren

#1545: Post by boren »

Is there an FAQ that covers the main points from this 155 page long discussion?

If not, can anyone summarize if using soft water (e.g. RPavlis recipe) and replacing gaskets on time is sufficient to make the BDB a machine that's as reliable, as say, a Lelit Elizabeth or a Rancilio Silvia Pro-X?

dehydrator9999

#1546: Post by dehydrator9999 replying to boren »

Interesting thought. I believe Peter has done it somewhere already, but I will probably summarize what I know in a separate post.

Meanwhile, if anyone would like to have FREE PTFE washers that can be used as steam wand seals, PM me your name and address.

lancealot

#1547: Post by lancealot »

Boren
You are looking for Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance Page 1.
Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

The water recipe can be found elsewhere on the forums using the search feature.

Cheers!

BaristaBob

#1548: Post by BaristaBob »

boren wrote:Is there an FAQ that covers the main points from this 155 page long discussion?

If not, can anyone summarize if using soft water (e.g. RPavlis recipe) and replacing gaskets on time is sufficient to make the BDB a machine that's as reliable, as say, a Lelit Elizabeth or a Rancilio Silvia Pro-X?
To address the BDB's longevity and reliability, based on my personal experience, here is my answer. If your water is soft (mine was a "1" using the hardness strip that came with my machine). I have never treated my water or used anything but my city water. Now, nearly seven years later, boilers are spotless. Machine never descaled, but I do drain the boilers once a month and clean the water tank. That's not to say parts don't wear out...I've had to replace the solenoid, steam valve, and pump. The nice part is the repair is DIY. The machine's weak link is o-rings. I think I'm almost done replacing every one. I've replaced them all with AFLAS and not a one has leaked. Temperature probes might fail down the road, but that's an easy job too.
Would I purchase a new BDB...maybe, maybe not. Just not sure I want to replace every o-ring in a brand new machine! To find a machine that does everything the BDB does in this price range...impossible!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Moka 1 Cup

#1549: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

BaristaBob wrote:.... To find a machine that does everything the BDB does it this price range...impossible!
Which machine, at higher price, does everything that the BDB does? I really mean everything, 8 minutes start up time, visible water level in the reservoir, programmable pre infusion, auto wake up, timed, volumetric, manual, and so on.
It's actually a serious question, in case I decide to "upgrade". I think I like the GS3 but, for example, it takes 30+ minutes to be ready for the first espresso. I am not sure about what else it's missing, compared to the BDB.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

luvmy40

#1550: Post by luvmy40 replying to Moka 1 Cup »

Don't forget: Front fill feature, HUGE reservoir, no cost flow control modifications(several different methods/levels of control), precise and adjustable brew temp. control, very dry steam(maybe not as powerful as some), auto back flush program, hidden front castor for ease of moving machine. I'm sure there are more features I am not thinking of.

Your question is valid and on point. There really isn't any other machine that does all the BDB does at any price point that I am aware of. I AM NOT CLAIMING THE BDB IS THE BEST MACHINE OUT THERE! It's just the most feature packed machine, and fairly low cost at the same time. BTW, contrary to some thinking, it is actually quite easy to work on and the common failure parts are relatively inexpensive.