Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 150

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#1491: Post by BaristaBob »

3waller wrote:This has two o rings and a washer. I replaced both o rings and reused the washer. I have it seated in the right spot, I use a magnifier app with light on my phone. Just too tight to force the clip past.

Update - I spoke to Breville. They are not servicing until August but will offer a new one for 60% off. So this is a $400 vs $1000 decision now. I am tempted to go the new route despite my distaste for spending money at the present time. I could also try a soldering fix and if it didn't work could go the new route. Lastly, if anyone thinks they can fix this I am willing to sell it and put money towards the new unit.
Hi Bill,

I find Breville's response interesting. Not servicing until August?? Offer a new 920XL at 60% off! How old is your machine? I'd say if your machine is three years or more old, then a new machine at 60% off sounds like a good deal to me...but then you're not me.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

sorenwrang

#1492: Post by sorenwrang »

I might have an issue with my 2 year old BDB.
When it is turned on and is heating up, I can hear a constant hissing sound and feel warm and moist air escape through the grill on the rear side of the machine - as if steam is leaking inside the machine.

Is this normal, e.g. an overpressure valve doing its job, or do you think I have an actual leak that should be fixed?

level3ninja

#1493: Post by level3ninja replying to sorenwrang »

Probably an O ring on the steam boiler. The sooner you replace it the less damage will be done.

luvmy40

#1494: Post by luvmy40 »

Definitely a problem. Is it still under warranty? If so, contact Breville USA and let them fix it. If not, it's probably and easy, cheap fix. Plenty of how to posts and videos out there.

BaristaBob

#1495: Post by BaristaBob »

^^^ the above!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

jb-0101

#1496: Post by jb-0101 »

I'm borrowing a BES900 (first version without the descale plug), and on manual mode the shot will automatically stop at about 45 seconds without me actually stopping it myself. Is there a setting somewhere where I can extend the duration?

luvmy40

#1497: Post by luvmy40 replying to jb-0101 »

Not that I am aware of. What you can do is set one of the program buttons to 90 seconds and stop it when you want to. You won't be able to control the PI that way.

The manual should max out at 90 seconds total including PI. How are you using the manual mode?

jb-0101

#1498: Post by jb-0101 »

I reduced preinfusion to 0 seconds as I wanted to control via needle valve instead. I'm just hitting manual and letting it go, but when I tried to do a blooming espresso a few times it cut out at 45 seconds. I did try also to reset the 1 cup program to 69 seconds and that worked, but I was just weirded out that manual turned itself off...

sorenwrang

#1499: Post by sorenwrang »

luvmy40 wrote:Definitely a problem. Is it still under warranty? If so, contact Breville USA and let them fix it. If not, it's probably and easy, cheap fix. Plenty of how to posts and videos out there.
Are you referring to my post or someone else's?

luvmy40

#1500: Post by luvmy40 replying to sorenwrang »

Yes, I was referring to your post.