Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 149

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
level3ninja

#1481: Post by level3ninja »

slepax

#1482: Post by slepax »

luvmy40 wrote:All I get there is a link to Breville's parts and accessories page. No ball valve there.
Did you mean the steam ball valve? It is there:

https://www.ewingelectrical.com.au/prod ... es900-09-6

3waller

#1483: Post by 3waller »

Hi guys,

I have spent about 6 hours trying to insert the hair clip for one of the outlets with the silicone cover. I have had my machine for 8 years and changed several o-rings without an issue. I also changed the other silicone covered one yesterday. It was tricky, but only took a couple of minutes. I have tried everything, including swapping clips of similar size from elsewhere in the machines.

I haven't come up with any other solutions to secure the hose, other than soldering the brass innard to the metal housing of the boiler. I think this may work, but if it doesn't I worry that they won't work on it if I return it to Breville . The clip fits through the hole of the housing fine and on the brass bit, but getting both done appears to be just too tight.

Love to hear your thoughts.

BaristaBob

#1484: Post by BaristaBob replying to 3waller »

I mean, not to discount anything you said, but...if it came off, it will (should) go back on. So you pulled the silicone boot up, that's good. You need to get the the o-ring to seat down in the well (sometimes this is hard, I use a small amount of food grade silicone grease around the o-ring and brass collar). Push down hard and the clip should slide right on. Then slide the boot back over....done!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

3waller

#1485: Post by 3waller »

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I dont blame your skepticism, if I was you I would say let me in there I can do it! I know it should go, but my six hours is not an exaggeration, never had issues before. I use a magnifier app to make sure the groove is lined up perfectly. If you are nearby you are welcome to give it a go! I have done a lot of these and have had no issues.

The question is should i solder or no? Will it hold? Will Breville still work on it? I could probably clean up much of the solder if I had to return but there would be remnants.

level3ninja

#1486: Post by level3ninja »

I've had a few where I needed to push down on the brass ferrule with a small flat head screwdriver, one or two that took quite a bit of effort for a little while. I would encourage you to continue trying as it will go eventually. K can't see soldering being a good solution.

3waller

#1487: Post by 3waller »

[i know level3. I have had to do that as well. With this one I have a little bit of extra room, so I first make sure it is seated in the right spot. I just cant get the clips past the widest part of the housing. When others have been tight I grip it with needle nose so I can get more force. Even tried hammering the needlenose on this one. Maybe I need to let Breville give it a try. Maybe I will get a new machine.

quote="level3ninja"]I've had a few where I needed to push down on the brass ferrule with a small flat head screwdriver, one or two that took quite a bit of effort for a little while. I would encourage you to continue trying as it will go eventually. K can't see soldering being a good solution.[/quote]

BaristaBob

#1488: Post by BaristaBob »

So not to state the obvious, but did you look down the "shoot" to see if there was an "old" o-ring still down there? Some of these tubes have two o-rings on them. It's possible there might be a build-up of deposits at the opening where the o-ring seats. I'm sure you have looked inside, but just in case...
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

3waller

#1489: Post by 3waller replying to BaristaBob »

This has two o rings and a washer. I replaced both o rings and reused the washer. I have it seated in the right spot, I use a magnifier app with light on my phone. Just too tight to force the clip past.

Update - I spoke to Breville. They are not servicing until August but will offer a new one for 60% off. So this is a $400 vs $1000 decision now. I am tempted to go the new route despite my distaste for spending money at the present time. I could also try a soldering fix and if it didn't work could go the new route. Lastly, if anyone thinks they can fix this I am willing to sell it and put money towards the new unit.

cmin

#1490: Post by cmin »

I would take the $400 for new machine vs beating your head against a wall trying to fix or figure out soldering it. I had two that were a bit tricky pressing correctly to get Seated for the clip, but I haven't seen anyone have the issue as bad you have. Personally I don't have much patience so $400 would be a hell yeah imo for a new machine lol, than play with or try to fix the other and sell it.