Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 144

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
luvmy40

#1431: Post by luvmy40 »

JasonB88 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I had a look on the inside it says its an ULKA Model E Type EP5 240V 50Hz 48W. I actually ended up ordering this pump insteadhttps://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154078484243. Everything matches up except its only 230V, would this be an issue still as it seems like ebay only sells 230V pumps. I've seen some 240V pumps from other suppliers but they are around double the price + shipping.
That should be GTG for you.

level3ninja

#1432: Post by level3ninja »

The 230V and 240V area identical except for the label, so yes 230V is fine

Advertisement
Roisey33

#1433: Post by Roisey33 »

level3ninja wrote:The solenoid often needs replacing around the same time as the pump. It might be ok (my gut says no) but personally I'd leave it now that you've done it. The pump hasn't suddenly failed just now. The way this type of pump fail is that over time they gradually are able to build less and less pressure. These pumps are treated at 15bar, but we restrict them down to around 10bar at the OPV. So until it can't build 10bar you won't even see a difference. Yours is a long way down the line and close to complete failure but not quite there. 5 years is a rough guide to life expectancy. The first sign we usually see is that they don't respond to preinfusion as well. With my old pump it wouldn't handle 55% preinfusion, changing it to 65% did nothing, at 75% it seemed normal. Then it stopped responding to any preinfusion and I replaced it.
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 4-5 year old BDB and I was wondering if you could help me diagnose a problem. When I hold the manual button for preinfusion, I get an initial gush of water like described in this thread, Breville Dual Boiler - Initial Gush of Water Problem, a bit of bubbling/gurgling sound, then no more water during preinfusion. When I increase the pump power to 67% and above, I don't run into this problem. Anything under 67% and I get the gush of water, then nothing.

How can I tell if the problem is the ulka pump, the solenoid, or both? I removed the IMS shower screen and SS screen holder and the water outlet looks similar to the OP's pics from post #18 of the thread I linked. I descaled the machine with citric acid (20g/1L) because they were using tap water in Denver, silly, then backflushed the group with the built in function. Didn't fix anything. If this helps, when I ran the ~6min clean me/backflush function, the gauge registered between 10-10.5 bars of pressure. The previous owner sent the machine into Breville last year for service and a few parts were changed, but they weren't provided with a detailed list of the changes and the 6 month warranty after the service has already expired. I haven't opened up the top yet to check for any leaks or scale; that's my next move. I haven't pulled any shots yet because I want to fix this problem first

level3ninja

#1434: Post by level3ninja »

If increasing the preinfusion power percentage helps it's almost certainly the pump. The only other things it might be is the last of the control board that regulates pump power. Cheapest way to find out is to change out the pump and see what happens.

cmin

#1435: Post by cmin »

Is this the right compression fitting for brass opv swap?

https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ow-fitting

Edit - N/M bought this one, I believe this is the correct fitting for brass opv swap according to Jake
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Bsp-To-4mm ... 3782929227

Nickriders

#1436: Post by Nickriders »

I'm looking to replace all the oring connected to the boiler on my backup machine to set it for a new home and want to confirm the correct one: as seen on previous thread: 007 AFLAS o-rings. Any difference on 70d vs 80d vs90d durometer? Also the link for the stream valve posted earlier is BO, does someone have an other link for Canada US? Many thanks!

JasonB88

#1437: Post by JasonB88 »

Update on replacing the pump on my BES920, big thanks to level3ninja and luvmy40 for the help!

Ordered the pump on the 11th and it arrived on the 23rd (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154078484243), replaced it the same day using this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSF7N4MvI4 as my guide, but didnt cut any wires as recommended by the people in the comments, took me about 30-40 minutes, was definitely a lot harder then I expected.

After installing it and trying to pull some shots I noticed that the machine was still pretty loud and I was getting around 5-7 bars of pressure when pulling shots, thought it might have been my grinder since its a 2nd hand Macap M2D that I recently got new burrs for, but then eventually opened up the machine to find that there was a small leak coming from where the plastic stock OPV connected to the new brass pump, so I re-tightned it and pulled a shot and pressure goes to around 9 - 9.5 bars after preinfusion then slowly drops to 8 - 9 bars and sits there until the end.

Espresso has tasted decent and ive been getting 1:2 shots out in around 27-30 seconds which seems good. Only problem is that the machine is still very loud and rattles alot, particularly when theres nothing in the grouphead, I assume that its likely the OPV which would explain losing pressure during the shot but wasn't 100% sure. I opened up the top of the machine and found no leaks.

If it does turn out to be the OPV, I was thinking about just upgrading to a brass opv while I was at it, I found this for the OPV https://www.siriuscoffee.com.au/product ... ve-e00614/ but I'm struggling to find the right compression fitting thats shipped from Australia. I've seen a few on ebay that would arrive in around 3-4 weeks and cost $15 but was hoping not to have to do that considering the brass opv is $44 for shipping already.

If it does turn out to be too expensive for me to replace my current OPV with a brass OPV, or if I have to wait a few weeks for everything to arrive, I was wondering if there would be any issue with contining to use the machine in its current state? Could I cause even more damage by running the machine like this or would it only harm the OPV?

Side note: Checked the secret menu and apprantly my machine has pulled 7,790 shots over its lifetime. To me that seems pretty crazy considering it seems to be in pretty good condition, even on the inside, but would explain why a lot of the internals are failing

Advertisement
sternalot

#1438: Post by sternalot »

After replacing the smaller o-rings, GFCI tripping had stopped.

GFCI is tripping again and despite changing the sensor o-rings, that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

Thinking I might rather step up to a LMLM or EP1 rather than send this in to get fixed.

*sigh*

#1439: Post by *sigh* »

Did you replace all of the O rings? I had this issue and thought I replaced them all but had missed one on the tube thats on the side of the steam boiler and is a bit buried. That fixed it all.

When it's opened up so you see moisture collecting anywhere?

cmin

#1440: Post by cmin »

JasonB88 wrote:Update on replacing the pump on my BES920, big thanks to level3ninja and luvmy40 for the help!
Wait, you used brass pump with stock factory opv? What the? I have the parts waiting here for the pump and vibiemme opv but I didn't see anyway to connect the brass pump to the stock opv. I'm waiting on a compression elbow fitting from England so who knows how long that will take, stupid $5 part that could take a month or more to get here so machine is sol till then. Ughh. No other way to conbect brass pump and vibiemme opv

I tried searching and found nothing on if brass pump and stock opv would work (so I could at least bandaid machine till elbow fitting arrives), I thiught it was gunna leak and spray just looking at it fitting and didn't want to short the machine out.