Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 142

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cmin

#1411: Post by cmin »

level3ninja wrote:O ring probably got pinched when you installed it. Replace it again.
Was months ago but I'll check, previous owner did it and had pics and I checked myself on o-rings. In process of moving so lil hectic lol.

Still not sure on needle valve assembly and even with IMS screen I don't seem to get the flow others do in regards to being even. I adjusted the needle valve but still can't control pressure, already replaced solenoid and opv but gauge ramps to 9 bar'ish like normal, initially I could adjust and attempt slayer etc shots (which imo were not fractionally near an actual Slayer as buddy has one).

Any idea on needle valve replacement? Keeps saying out of stock or where I got solenoid said it's discontinued part which doesn't makes sense. I adjusted the spline and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Edit - now just noticed pulling a shot the other line to left leaks at the same point which it didn't, till now. Only under pressure with backflush or puck, not free flowing. I'll check rings again later when it's cooled down.

level3ninja

#1412: Post by level3ninja »

Sounds like when you're trying to control flow with the needle valve it's backing up and coming out these O rings

luvmy40

#1413: Post by luvmy40 »

cmin wrote:Was months ago but I'll check, previous owner did it and had pics and I checked myself on o-rings. In process of moving so lil hectic lol.

Still not sure on needle valve assembly and even with IMS screen I don't seem to get the flow others do in regards to being even. I adjusted the needle valve but still can't control pressure, already replaced solenoid and opv but gauge ramps to 9 bar'ish like normal, initially I could adjust and attempt slayer etc shots (which imo were not fractionally near an actual Slayer as buddy has one).

Any idea on needle valve replacement? Keeps saying out of stock or where I got solenoid said it's discontinued part which doesn't makes sense. I adjusted the spline and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Edit - now just noticed pulling a shot the other line to left leaks at the same point which it didn't, till now. Only under pressure with backflush or puck, not free flowing. I'll check rings again later when it's cooled down.
Sorry to have to say this because there are obviously honest people out there. Certainly everyone I have had personal dealings with on this forum, BUT... Never trust the PO's word on maintenance. This is as true with used appliances as it is with used vehicles(motorcycles in particuar).

My suggestion, and it's probably worth what you paid for it, would be to take it back to stock and replace every o-ring on it. Then start trouble shooting.

cmin

#1414: Post by cmin replying to luvmy40 »

I did see pics of being replaced though and I went through myself when it came. I do have a bag of 007 rings I had already bought as well, just didn't trust Breville with my previous experiences so far ha, but packed away as moving. But this leaking/hissing didn't start till few days ago, had machine for months.

I may get around to that this weekend. But what has me stumped is the needle valve, I've searched everywhere and even our of country nobody has or says it's discontinued. I can't be the only person in the world with a failed Breville needle valve lol? May if found one place in fricken AU that may have it but that seems useless as with out of country shipping and beerflu fubar'd logistics maybe I'll get it in, 8 months.

So even if I replace the rings again have no clue what to do about needle valve issue.

level3ninja

#1415: Post by level3ninja »

I can't help with finding a needle valve as I'm in Australia, but I think there's a good chance that what you're describing as the needle valve issue is actually caused by the leaking O rings.

luvmy40

#1416: Post by luvmy40 »

As far as getting parts from Australia, I ordered some water level probes from Out West Coffee last month and they arrived in Ohio in less than 2 weeks. They did sit in CA for 4 days.

There is another valve available. It's been named after the guy who used it. I do not think it is drop in replacement, but it is an option. There is a good bit of talking about it in the BDB Mods and Maint. thread, if I am not mistaken.

Whiterock214

#1417: Post by Whiterock214 »

I believe I found the cause and solution of the problem I posted a few days back (with a video). The issue was failure of the steam pump (which is a small pump sitting beside the main pump).
The original is an ULKA NME Type 1S. eReplacement show this as in stock for $25, but ship time was long. I ended up buying a Type 4 version (same 16W/120V) from ebay. The issue is that the original has a screw fitting at the output whereas the new one had a push on fitting. I ended up taking the pumps apart and swapping the plastic tops (you just take out two screws, twist the metal fitting gently a few degrees unlock and then you can remove it. Then swap the plunger). Photos below may help others.

After powering up it takes a few minutes for the pump to refill the steam tank, then the pump switches off.
I seem to be back in the coffee business.
Richard

lancealot

#1418: Post by lancealot »

Nice work. Thanks for following up with the solution. This is the first time I have heard of this issue. It is nice that this can be added to the knowledge base of known problems and solutions.

luvmy40

#1419: Post by luvmy40 »

Whiterock214 wrote:I believe I found the cause and solution of the problem I posted a few days back (with a video). The issue was failure of the steam pump (which is a small pump sitting beside the main pump).
The original is an ULKA NME Type 1S. eReplacement show this as in stock for $25, but ship time was long. I ended up buying a Type 4 version (same 16W/120V) from ebay. The issue is that the original has a screw fitting at the output whereas the new one had a push on fitting. I ended up taking the pumps apart and swapping the plastic tops (you just take out two screws, twist the metal fitting gently a few degrees unlock and then you can remove it. Then swap the plunger). Photos below may help others.

After powering up it takes a few minutes for the pump to refill the steam tank, then the pump switches off.
I seem to be back in the coffee business.
Richard

Interesting that a new pump fixed the issue. I would have thought this would be caused by a bad water level sensor or control board. I recently had the same issue. I just disconnected the pump as I never use the steam function. I finally contacted Breville about it and, in the end they're sending me a replacement machine. I am surprised they would do that if it was just a bad pump.

razor488

#1420: Post by razor488 »

I sent my BDB in to Breville for service and it came back with issues with the hot water knob.

1) The knob is wobbling

2) the knob is very hard to turn

3) The travel distance of the knob is much further than before.

Here is a video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZXnbFpyF0

Is this something I can fix myself or will I need to send it back to Breville?