Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 136

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NickRPT

#1351: Post by NickRPT »

Hello guys.
I'm new on the group.
I know this issue have been addressed before but I wanted to see if someone came up with a solution.
This is have to do with the group head black coating peeling.
This is my second 920 and this seems to be more affected in few months time.
Is it something to worry much?
If I sand it all off, I'm I going to get rust on some point?
What is the reason that this coating is there from the manufacturer?
Also I'm still under warranty, but I don't want to waste my time if that's going to happen again.
Thank you very much, very helpful forum, very much appreciate all the people here that sharing voluntarily all these information.....

athoangphan

#1352: Post by athoangphan replying to NickRPT »

Just don't sand it. I would just clean it and leave it be. It is because there's a heating element in the group and depending on the temperature you set, it's always hot at around 200F while the machine is on.

level3ninja

#1353: Post by level3ninja »

flat4510 wrote:Anyone have recommendations for a portafilter funnel? I tried this one from Amazon but the ears of the PF were a little too high for it to sit flush against the basket, and when doing WDT lots of grinds would get suck between the gaps leaving a mess every time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QB ... UTF8&psc=1
I use this one, ebay item number 233624823643. Looks very similar but not quite as wide.

topcat2001

#1354: Post by topcat2001 »

I've been using this one and works fine and fits well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T6 ... UTF8&psc=1

If you are using the Breville smart grinder though then be aware this won't fit in the weird shaped portafilter holder so I used to remove the holder and place the portafilter on top of it. Now I just grind without the funnel and then use the funnel just while distributing after grinding. Should fit no problem with other grinder portafilter holders like Sette or Mignon.

godwinmt

#1355: Post by godwinmt »

You can get the dosing funnel to fit with the SGP by trimming the back of the portafilter holder away. Recently started using that funnel with my CC1 and SGP, and it works great with the trimmed holder. The one caveat is that the holder will not hold the portafilter without the funnel once trimmed as the holder touches the top to prevent the portafilter from falling out.

Whiterock214

#1356: Post by Whiterock214 »

The steam wand on my BES900XL has started dripping. I have read the threads suggesting that I reverse the white PTFE rings inside the valve, but would rather buy some new rings if possible. Does anyone have the type/size? I found an Amazon link Peter had posted but that product no longer seems on sale. Thanks, Richard

athoangphan

#1357: Post by athoangphan replying to Whiterock214 »

Here you go, uxcell PTFE Flat Washers 10mm OD 5mm ID 2mm Thickness Sealing Gasket for Faucet Pipe Water Hose, White, Pack of 30 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CBMR6H/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Whiterock214

#1358: Post by Whiterock214 »

Thank you!!!

Richard

luvmy40

#1359: Post by luvmy40 »

I noticed some moisture in the pressure gauge yesterday, so I popped the top off today to look for the leaky o-ring. There was a bit of water in the low spots but no sign of a leaky seal. I wiggled everything and then noticed the steam boiler was cold.

The boiler was full of water and refilled when drained so the pump and level sensor are working. I finally tore it apart to discover the thermal fuse was blown.

I've never run the descale or even manually descaled this machine. I've always run non scaling water in it.

I rarely steam milk and could not tell when the last time I opened the steam valve, but It has been pulling great shots I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary until the moisture in the pressure gauge.

I ordered a pack of five thermal links today on the big A. I guess I'll have to wait to see if it blows immediately or not and look for the leak if the boiler heats up.

Astralmind

#1360: Post by Astralmind »

Alright, gonna try to keep this short

Bit the bullet and bought a BDB and I am expecting it tomorrow. I have been using a BBE for the past 8 years - no maintenance (besides cleaning) and not a single failure. I had read back then that it was a cheap, unreliable piece of crap and that I'd regret my choice.. well. A few weeks back I got a Eureka Specialita to try and help me up my game with lighter roasts (medium light). Tried exotic beans, upgraded a few accessories and spent hours (probably hundreds) reading and watching videos.

I was looking at buying my first <serious> espresso machine - looking at Mara X or something similar (EMC etc..) and somehow stumbled on this thread of which I have read almost everything up to page 88 (devouring it like a weird book). That's how I ended up giving up on my fancy shiny Italian dream and went for the last machine I would have ever expected. Bittersweet but couldn't go against logic!

Oddly enough, I have now accumulated quite a bit of knowledge in terms of troubleshooting issues (up until 2020 page 88!) but have no idea how to get the most out of the BDB. It feels very weird that I'm ready to plunge and take it a part but have no idea how to configure any settings. So, any pointers for a new convert ? I mainly drink espressos, amercianos and the odd cortado, machiato.

Lastly, have things improved with more recent production units or gotten worst in terms of reliability ?
Thanks!

Mat