Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 133

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
megamixman

#1321: Post by megamixman »

Anyone know what size screws are used on the U-clamp that holds the steam valve in place. I was working on flipping my valve seals and despite trying extra hard to keep track of everything, have managed to lose both of those screws :cry: .

Edit:
6-32 screws did the trick for future reference.

Jiiim

#1322: Post by Jiiim »

I'm after some help.

I've got a Dual Boiler that keeps on tripping. The only o-ring that seems to be leaking to any degree is the one on the left hand side of the steam boiler. Are there any guides or videos o line covering how to change this one?

Peering in, it does appear to have a bit of a build up of minerals on it, and when you hear a drip, the machine instantly trips.

It just looks quite a task to get to!

Advertisement
lancealot

#1323: Post by lancealot »

Hi Jim,

See the link below, it covers all the BDB mods and maintenance wisdom collected on this site.

The info you seek is in Post 1, Item 3, Last Paragraph.

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

Jiiim

#1324: Post by Jiiim »

Great, thank you!

Another q: what could be causing a loss of pre-infusion pressure? Shots pull fine otherwise, I just don't get any pressure at all during the first phase.

Solenoid?

lancealot

#1325: Post by lancealot »

Could be a few things. Take a couple of hours and change the o-rings. Not just the one on the side, change the ones on the top of the steam and brew boiler too. After you are done, run the pump with out the portafilter to get all the air out of the system. Then put the grey silicone disk in the basket and pull a blank shot and see what happens. It is behaves normally, you are golden. If not, it could be the pump or the solenoid.

Jiiim

#1326: Post by Jiiim »

Ok so that was a nightmare!

Solenoid came off easy, clip on hose tricky to access but manageable, but the pipe and brass fitting was fused in really badly. So much so that I tore the pipe at the ferruel getting to out.

Had to snip the end of the pipe, cut off the fitting (dropped the ferruel in the machine at one point argh!) o-ring on, but getting it back in and clip on was very tough. Finally managed it, all reassembled.

No more tripping, and no leaks that I can see, but now I have no steam... I'm getting the dreaded 3 beeps when I open the valve.

Anyone got any tips for sorting that??

Jiiim

#1327: Post by Jiiim »

Seems to have corrected itself! I just left the machine on for a couple of hours and the problem vanished. Perhaps it was an airlock in the boiler or something...

Either way, steam working, and no more leaking or tripping. Woot!

Now just the lack of pre-infustion to sort. I've got a new solenoid on the way, so wonder if that will help.

Advertisement
luvmy40

#1328: Post by luvmy40 »

Jiiim wrote:Seems to have corrected itself! I just left the machine on for a couple of hours and the problem vanished. Perhaps it was an airlock in the boiler or something...

Either way, steam working, and no more leaking or tripping. Woot!

Now just the lack of pre-infustion to sort. I've got a new solenoid on the way, so wonder if that will help.
Does the pump come on at all during PI?

The pump during PI on my BDB would sometimes not kick in. If I short cycled the pull and started it again immediately, it would kick in and run as it should. When I fragged the steam boiler doing the dreaded de scale, they sent me a new machine so I never found out what the cause of the glich was.

Jiiim

#1329: Post by Jiiim »

Does the pump come on at all during PI?
It doesn't sound like it comes on at all during PI.

Is it the same pump that does this, or is there a separate one for the PI?

luvmy40

#1330: Post by luvmy40 »

It's the brew pump. It runs at a lower pressure for PI then kicks in full tilt for the brew.