Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 125

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lancealot

#1241: Post by lancealot »

Moka,
So they told you it was done and ready for shipping on the 8th and you have tracking on the 12th but still no machine? Just curious b/c they received mine on 12/30 and I still haven't heard from them.

Moka 1 Cup

#1242: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Correct.
The tracking information show that the label was crated yesterday, machine sipped on the same day. Arriving tomorrow.
By the way, I know it because a notification on my account with UPS, I did not receive a tracking number from Breville, just the email saying that the machine was "coming home".
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

lancealot

#1243: Post by lancealot »

Thanks. My Machine went to the same place in NY as yours did. I did not know the name of the business, but after you posted the name, I was able to look up the address and reference it against the address on my outbound shipping label.

Moka 1 Cup

#1244: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

lancealot

#1245: Post by lancealot »

How's it working out Monte?

Moka 1 Cup

#1246: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

The machine arrived super clean and it works like a clock, the espresso yesterday evening and this morning was excellent.

By the way something sort of funny happened when I received it. After unboxing it I took the serial number of the machine and compared with my records and it was different (!!!). So I sent an email. I received a phone call in less than two hours and promised to send a picture of the serial number of the machine I had received back. Then I thought about checking again. Well, this is my third BES, and instead of looking at the records of the third one, I had taken the file of the second machine ..... :roll: . Obviously I sent an email with my apologies.

-----
Edit for update.....

This morning after having my espresso I sat in the kitchen reading my morning emails. I was giving the back to the BES which was just behind me. While I was reading the mail I noticed a very tiny almost imperceptible "drip" .................. "drip" .................. "drip" sounds. I got closer to the machine and yes it was coming form inside the BES, from the right I believe. I opened the steam valve to release pressure, the hot water, but it did not go away. I turned the machine off before leaving for work. I'll see if it continues. Maybe it's noting.

Whiterock214

#1247: Post by Whiterock214 »

Hi folks,

I am having an issue with my Breville Dual Boiler and wondered if anyone could suggest a fix. I have looked through this thread but can't see something quite the same, hence this posting.

The video below shows the issue I am having with low pressure.
Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated.
The machine is 6 years old and I changed the solenoid 3 years ago.
I have had some water/steam leaks recently and have changed some of the O-rings (which fixed the leaks).

Richard

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1248: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Whiterock214 wrote:Hi folks,

I am having an issue with my Breville Dual Boiler and wondered if anyone could suggest a fix. I have looked through this thread but can't see something quite the same, hence this posting.

The video below shows the issue I am having with low pressure.

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated.
The machine is 6 years old and I changed the solenoid 3 years ago.
I have had some water/steam leaks recently and have changed some of the O-rings (which fixed the leaks).

Richard
First of all, Good on you for having a still running, -900. There are precious few still around. Well done.

As long as the pressure drop is not due to the establishment of flow out the bottom of the basket, could be either time for another solenoid change, (three years is not outrageous for the cheap solenoid in this machine). Or a pump change. Pumps are cheap and not much harder than the solenoid to change*. That said, there are plastic check valve-type bits in the output neck of the pump. Some frugal DIY'ers just change out those internal bits and put the pump back to work again. If those check valve bits have failed, that could cause low pressure. The pump the BDB uses is the same industry standard Italian prosumer vibe pump used all over the industry. Any well stocked espresso repair or supply house should have the little check valve bits for your Ulka pump.

*Since the solenoid architecture Breville uses is non-proprietary, you can use any other flat-based form factor solenoid. For about $65 on Amazon, I bought one that has all the appearance of being of considerably higher quality than the Italian one that comes in the machine. So I paid 50% more for what I suspect is a higher quality solenoid. If lasts only 50% longer, that's only a tie. So hopefully it lasts even more than that. Fingers crossed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Whiterock214

#1249: Post by Whiterock214 »

Peter, many many thanks for the detailed and speedy response.

I have a couple of follow on questions...

1. I really like the idea of using a better quality solenoid. It looks like you used a Lucifer/Parker solenoid/valve. Do you happen to remember any details of the L adapter you used from the solenoid to the tube (thread/pipe diameter etc.)? I was nervous that connecting the tube directly to the solenoid would be challenging, but in one of your earlier posts it looked like you initially pushed it over the screw threads and used a plastic tie (which is fine for me if it doesn't leak).

2. I bought a new pump a few weeks back on Amazon, but when it arrived I realized it was missing the thermostat/thermal cut-off. As the original pump seems to have the over temp cut-off glued in place, I was nervous of being able to get it off intact and move it to the new pump. Any idea if getting it off and transferring it to a new pump is do-able? Any idea of what kind of thermal glue they used to hold it in place?

Lastly, I suspect it's time for me to move over to your 'distilled water + bicarbonate' approach. I have been a bad guy and using either tap or water filtered from the fridge....

Thank you again for all the help and advice.

Richard

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1250: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) » replying to Whiterock214 »

Re ^^^

1) Yes you can zip tie the tube to the threaded part, which as you know is what I did initially while I waited for the right fitting to arrive. That works because it's just a simple vent that does not handle much volume and no pressure. BUT... it's still a little kludgey. I'll send you the Amazon link to the properly threaded elbow I used. Breville doesn't really use any proprietary plumbing so it's all just a matter of knowing what to use. I figured mine out by taking the solenoid to the hardware store and finding a nut that fit.

2) You re-use the thermal cutoff that comes with the machine. The "glue" picks out easily with some needle nose pliers or an ice pick or tweezers or pocket knife. The bond is weak. As it should be for this application. So It comes off easily? If you spend more than three minutes on the glue, you're doing something wrong. You do NOT need to cut and splice any wires to do a pump change despite what the otherwise good video out there says. It's just a simple tit for tat direct swap.

Safe water is HUGE. It is the machine killer in all of espresso. Not just Breville. La Marzocco and Synesso are strict about their water chemistry. You should be too.

-Peter
LMWDP #553