Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 124

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
beagem

#1231: Post by beagem »

pcrussell50 wrote:
-Open up your top cover.
-Keep it propped up so the wires aren't strained. Let the control board under the cover get good and dry.
-Keeping the top cover propped up, warm up the machine and pull some shots. If the board is dry and the problem does not return, it's due to the fact that propping the cover up is keeping the board out of the path of becoming wet by steam.
-When warm, wiggle the tubes on the steam boiler. You will find your hisser that way.
-When cool again, get some silicone lube, some #007 sized o-rings. Breville uses silicone, but Jake and some others are pushing AFLAS. I use silicone because that's what I had on hand I have 100 of them. AFLAS may last longer, but they are easy enough to replace anyway that I haven't bothered ordering any yet.
-When ready to close it up again, don't screw it back down. Keep the screws aside somewhere safe. That way, you can lift the top cover off any time you wish, without any hassles.

HTH

-Peter
Thanks All, good news is that when i turned on the machine with the top cover propped up, the overheating issue wasn't there.
Bad news is that I replaced the o-rings (they were originally blue so i think this is the sensor o-ring?), with the 007 and now realised it was the wrong size... Now i've changed to the 010 sized ones as previously mentioned in other posts - but the leak is there (and worst than before).
Am I doing anything wrong? Can I use 2 o-rings ?

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1232: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I have just received an email that states that my machine has been repaired, tested and it's ready di be shipped back to me.

(No information about what they did)
Going from memory, you just had routine leaks, correct? If so, it should be expected that they would fix rather than replace, since leaks are generally easy fixes. Still, this is good data. Thanks for reporting back.
Moka 1 Cup wrote: I clean it every Sunday with one tablet. Usually I have to run the cycle twice to consume one tablet completely.
By the way... Nothing magic about the tablets. They are just standard espresso machine detergent like Cafiza (easy to get in North America) or Cafetto (in Australia). Each tablet weighs 2 or 3 grams I forget which. And it's not important. So me? Instead of using expensive tablets, I just use 2-3g of Cafetto or Cafiza powder for the cleaning cycle. And I only do the cleaning cycle when the machine bids me too. Nothing wrong with doing it more often though.

===
beagem wrote:Thanks All, good news is that when i turned on the machine with the top cover propped up, the overheating issue wasn't there.
Bad news is that I replaced the o-rings (they were originally blue so i think this is the sensor o-ring?), with the 007 and now realised it was the wrong size... Now i've changed to the 010 sized ones as previously mentioned in other posts - but the leak is there (and worst than before).
Am I doing anything wrong? Can I use 2 o-rings ?
Ah well, you live and learn. Usually the -10 blue sensor o-rings don't fail. When a sensor leaks, it's usually not from the o-ring, but from the small space in between the steel rod and the ceramic insulator. Usually. You need to find out which is the case for you.

Also, you need to wiggle the PTFE tubes on your steam boiler when it's up to temperature and find out which of those are hissing. Don't burn yourself. Report back what you find. Those take -007's.

In the mean time, with the cover propped up, you can just keep using your machine to make coffees while you sort out your issues.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

beagem

#1233: Post by beagem »

pcrussell50 wrote: Ah well, you live and learn. Usually the -10 blue sensor o-rings don't fail. When a sensor leaks, it's usually not from the o-ring, but from the small space in between the steel rod and the ceramic insulator. Usually. You need to find out which is the case for you.

Also, you need to wiggle the PTFE tubes on your steam boiler when it's up to temperature and find out which of those are hissing. Don't burn yourself. Report back what you find. Those take -007's.

-Peter
Thanks Peter, you are right! Upon closer look, I can see that there are now 2 different types of leaks, one from the o-ring (which leaks from the bottom). And the other must be from the small space between steel rod and ceramic insulator.
Here is a video of the actual leak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAic6Lh93tw

Will replace the o-ring for the leak from the red wire, but what about the leak from the blue wire?

luvmy40

#1234: Post by luvmy40 »

You can try some food grade silicone sealant/lubricant or you can get a new sensor/probe from Breville(and sign a waiver of liability).

Whiterock214

#1235: Post by Whiterock214 »

Help welcome...
I have a BES900XL BDB. Recently the pressure has dropped. With the rubber disc in place I see the pressure rise to 5 bar and then after ~10 seconds there is a change in tone of the noise from the machine/pump, and the pressure drops to 3 bar.

FYI, I replaced the solenoid about 3 years ago (it was chattering) and de scaled a week ago.

Many thanks, Richard

Moka 1 Cup

#1236: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

pcrussell50 wrote: By the way... Nothing magic about the tablets. They are just standard espresso machine detergent like Cafiza (easy to get in North America) or Cafetto (in Australia). Each tablet weighs 2 or 3 grams I forget which. And it's not important. So me? Instead of using expensive tablets, I just use 2-3g of Cafetto or Cafiza powder for the cleaning cycle. And I only do the cleaning cycle when the machine bids me too. Nothing wrong with doing it more often though.
Any chance that using only water + potassium bicarbonate may be a problem for the o-rings ?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1237: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Moka 1 Cup »

I can't imagine so. Never even considered it though. But anecdotally, people who use ordinary hard tap water don't seem to have any better life out of their o-rings that people who use "Pavlis water", which can be either K-bicarb or Na-bicarb, btw.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

gchapman

#1238: Post by gchapman »

beagem wrote:Thanks Peter, you are right! Upon closer look, I can see that there are now 2 different types of leaks, one from the o-ring (which leaks from the bottom). And the other must be from the small space between steel rod and ceramic insulator.
Here is a video of the actual leak video

Will replace the o-ring for the leak from the red wire, but what about the leak from the blue wire?
Beagem, we have done some work to understand why this leak happens. Our posts, including some videos, can be found scattered through pp 115-119 of this thread. I ended up ordering new steam probes from Breville and give the links and my reasons for it over those pages. Breville will sell them to you, but will exact from you a consent to release them from any responsibility now that you were messing with the inside of their machine. Since I was past warranty, that's not an issue. As a note, you could try an interim solution of jamming some Dow 111 into the space between the lower washer and the bottom of the ceramic sleeve. Some of us have had success for a time with that.

Here is a place to start... Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on

HTH
Geoff Chapman

Moka 1 Cup

#1239: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

It looks like my machine is coming back from EQAService LLC in NY.

From their FB page: "EQAService is a dedicated home espresso maker service center with a unique concierge service to pickup and deliver your units."
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

lancealot

#1240: Post by lancealot »

Moka,
So they told you it was done and ready for shipping on the 8th and you have tracking on the 12th but still no machine? Just curious b/c they received mine on 12/30 and I still haven't heard from them.