Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 113

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1121: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

walleye wrote:Thanks. I'll give this at try.

And I'm going to tackle the hard water issues. I'd like to avoid a whole house water softener. It looks like you've used this in the past:
https://www.allfilters.com/undersinkfil ... m-esp124-t

Has that been ok?
Yes. That filter works great. A simple under-sink install. But as with all filters it eventually loses effectiveness. And you need a test kit to determine when it's time to replace the filter. And the filters cost $55... if you shop carefully. I do get about two years use out of a filter though. And the test kit is $75 although you get a hundred uses or more out of it. My machine is plumbed, so I have to put up with that bother. Alternatively, distilled water with a pinch of baking soda (80mg/quart or so) is easier if you are not plumbed. That's what I use for my machines that are not plumbed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

new2espresso

#1122: Post by new2espresso »

A little late follow up.. Found the source of the leak and replaced all the other ones on the steam valve as well. Thanks everyone for your help!
Has anyone tried leaving the screw out of the lever that actuates the steam valve? It seems to be staying in for me without much effort.
Kind regards,
Karan

#1123: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

new2espresso wrote:A little late follow up.. Found the source of the leak and replaced all the other ones on the steam valve as well. Thanks everyone for your help!
Has anyone tried leaving the screw out of the lever that actuates the steam valve? It seems to be staying in for me without much effort.
Congratulations.

I have not left that screw out. For me, the steam valve is a once every couple of years thing. So leaving out that particular screw is of little benefit. Unlike leaving out the screws for the top cover, which promotes frequent inspection.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

icantroast

#1124: Post by icantroast »

I'm seriously considering one of these. Any reason not to? Not my favorite looks wise but that's okay. Thanks!

#1125: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to icantroast »

My quick summary...
Pros:
-Requires more frequent, but generally easy DIY servicing than some others
-Techno geekery: Has super precise temperature stability through multiple heaters and PIDs (not just one, like so many others)
-If there is ever a problem you can't tackle, for a fixed fee ($350-400) they will fix it for you. That fee includes shipping both ways AND they pack it for you, so you don't have to worry about that. If you pick your problems carefully, they won't want to fix it and will probably send you a brand new machine.
-It is a SUPERB platform for customization and tricking out. There is not a new and hot extraction technique that you can't make it do if you are of a tinkering and modding mind
-If you do like roasting, the precise, what you see is what you get, temperature setting is nice for dialing in

Cons:
-Requires more frequent, but generally easy DIY servicing than some others. If this is not your bag, you will have to consider forgoing the world class temperature stability for something else, or else buying something many times more expensive to get the same thing.
-Does not have that classic espresso steam punk look and feel

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Willinak

#1126: Post by Willinak »

pcrussell50 wrote:Yes. That filter works great. A simple under-sink install. But as with all filters it eventually loses effectiveness. And you need a test kit to determine when it's time to replace the filter. And the filters cost $55... if you shop carefully. I do get about two years use out of a filter though. And the test kit is $75 although you get a hundred uses or more out of it. My machine is plumbed, so I have to put up with that bother. Alternatively, distilled water with a pinch of baking soda (80mg/quart or so) is easier if you are not plumbed. That's what I use for my machines that are not plumbed.

-Peter
Peter, why the pinch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?

#1127: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to Willinak »

Because overly pure water, like distilled water does not conduct electricity, and so the water level sensors might not work right. So you need to add something that won't cause scale but will allow for the sensors to work. You can also use 100mg/l of potassium bicarbonate, (or again 80mg/l of sodium bicarb). And this goes for all espresso machines, not just the BDB, especially ones with copper and brass, where potassium bicarb or sodium bicarb also helps promote the formation of a protective oxide layer over reactive metals. The BDB has stainless boilers so that's less important but still...

-Peter
LMWDP #553

DocPseudopolis

#1128: Post by DocPseudopolis »

Hello Everyone!

I have been considering a used BDB for my first machine purchase. I have already read this entire thread. But, I was wondering if there were any BDB specific questions I should ask sellers?

Already on the list
  • What type of water do you use
  • IS your steam wand nozzle leaking
  • What is your mx and cleaning routine
  • have you descaled recently?
Any other warning signs I should be looking at? I am targeting about $600 if I can find one locally.

nrcoffee

#1129: Post by nrcoffee »

pcrussell50 wrote:My quick summary...
Pros:
-Requires more frequent, but generally easy DIY servicing than some others
-Techno geekery: Has super precise temperature stability through multiple heaters and PIDs (not just one, like so many others)
-If there is ever a problem you can't tackle, for a fixed fee ($350-400) they will fix it for you. That fee includes shipping both ways AND they pack it for you, so you don't have to worry about that. If you pick your problems carefully, they won't want to fix it and will probably send you a brand new machine.
-It is a SUPERB platform for customization and tricking out. There is not a new and hot extraction technique that you can't make it do if you are of a tinkering and modding mind
-If you do like roasting, the precise, what you see is what you get, temperature setting is nice for dialing in

Cons:
-Requires more frequent, but generally easy DIY servicing than some others. If this is not your bag, you will have to consider forgoing the world class temperature stability for something else, or else buying something many times more expensive to get the same thing.
-Does not have that classic espresso steam punk look and feel

HTH

-Peter
I just got one a few weeks ago and I would add some of the other incredibly well thought out features:
- Front filling water tank. Doesn't seem that special, but it's really nice to have.
- Front view water level window. I LOVE this.
- Wheels that extend and retract to allow you to move the machine easier. Though I find it's pretty easy to slide anyways.
- Auto on feature that I used to have to use a WIFI plug for.
- Super fast warm up. It's ready to pull a shot in 10-15 min.

DaveB

#1130: Post by DaveB »

nrcoffee wrote: - Super fast warm up. It's ready to pull a shot in 10-15 min.
The last time I tested it was 06:52, so I would say 7-8 min.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet