Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on - Page 112

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
new2espresso

#1111: Post by new2espresso »

pcrussell50 wrote:Like this:
Except that in this pic, I left the stem in the valve body. The stem has an o-ring on it that can leak. Also note which end of the valve is the top and which is the bottom.

-Peter
It looks like the valve was in the correct orientation. I tightened everything again. This is what it looked like taking it apart today.

The only difference I see is that I have a larger o ring than you Peter, but to me it looked like the same size as the original one I torched
Another tip. A hemostat makes a great tool to take out and put the clips back in
Waiting for the machine to warm up as I post to see if this worked.
-Karan
Kind regards,
Karan

new2espresso

#1112: Post by new2espresso »

Still having a few minor leaks. I wonder if I need to replace the little o rings in the connections. Does anyone know the size?

Side note: I ordered a 20 pack of the PTFE washers for back up if the flip trick did not work. If anyone needs some drop me a message and I'll get them in the mail.
Kind regards,
Karan

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#1113: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

new2espresso wrote:Still having a few minor leaks. I wonder if I need to replace the little o rings in the connections. Does anyone know the size?
Side note: I ordered a 20 pack of the PTFE washers for back up if the flip trick did not work. If anyone needs some drop me a message and I'll get them in the mail.
The ones in the connections are size #007. And those connections are just as subject to wear as the rest of the steam boiler o-rings. If you want to get back in business ASAP, get some common hardware store Viton o-rings in size #007. Pick up a #008 for the stem while you're at it. They will work long enough for you to decide which #007 order to place on Amazon, either more stock-type silicone or AFLAS.

Tip: one of the benefits of NOT tightening your flipped o-rings all the way, is that later if you develop a drip, you can tighten some more, without having to disassemble and flip again.

Stay in touch. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Nice tip about the hemastat... BUT HB member GChapman beat you to it a few months back. :wink:

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

new2espresso

#1114: Post by new2espresso »

:lol: Thanks for the tip Peter. Got a busy few days ahead, I'll stop by the hardware store early next week and pick up the o rings and get started on replacing them. I'll post the results on here for sure!
At least I can keep the top open to vent the steam and make an espresso/ flat white if i need to. It's midterms week and 4 nights at work after :?
Kind regards,
Karan

walleye

#1115: Post by walleye »

I'm attaching a photo of the steam boiler where I'm getting hissing from the top of one of the probes (with the arrow). I have replace the o-ring, so I think the steam is coming from the top. What is this and has anyone replaced it?

DaveB

#1116: Post by DaveB »

walleye wrote:image
Wow, was that BDB used at Burning Man? :D
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

walleye

#1117: Post by walleye » replying to DaveB »

ha! Yeah it's a total mess with that leak in there. I had it all cleaned up and shiny a month ago -- now there's this new leak :roll:

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision

#1118: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

walleye wrote:I'm attaching a photo of the steam boiler where I'm getting hissing from the top of one of the probes (with the arrow). I have replace the o-ring, so I think the steam is coming from the top. What is this and has anyone replaced it?
It's one of the water level sensors. The ground/earth pole.

Two things stand out in your pic:

1) the white stuff looks like heavy mineral content. Are you using scale free-water?
2) this big one... the hairpin clip that holds the sensor in place appears to be missing. That could certainly cause a MAJOR leak like what we are looking at

-Peter
LMWDP #553

walleye

#1119: Post by walleye » replying to pcrussell50 »

On 1), no I'm not using scale-free water. :oops:

I do have the hairpin clip -- I had it out while inspecting the o-ring (when I took the photo). It seems like the steam is escaping through the tip ... not through the seal with the o-ring. And it will blow steam every minute or so.

#1120: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) » replying to walleye »

Ah. Well the metal rod runs through the ceramic insulator/holder and it spins freely. This is normal. I just had all three of mine out last month for cleaning/inspection. Why they don't all leak like crazy is a bit of a mystery. Anyway, last bloke who was getting the leak between the rod and the ceramic, took some food safe silicone grease like DOW111 (something every barista should have in his tool kit), pack it into the gap between the ceramic and the rod, down at the bottom of the ceramic (not at the top where you see it). The grease is both water and heat resistant and seems to provide enough blockage to stop it.

The hard water is a whole other issue. It will eventually lead to the destruction of your machine unless you do something about it. And there are many things you can do. In fact, I follow the guidance given by commercial espresso machine makers (La Marzocco and Synesso), whose philosophy is that of prevention.

-Peter
LMWDP #553