Breville Dual Boiler brew boiler drain clogged?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Montrealer

#1: Post by Montrealer »

So here is the story:

I was trying to rinse the metallic taste from the boilers of my new BDB and noticed I was getting nowhere fast. I usually drain both the brew and steam boiler at the same time so it took me a while to realize that my BREW boiler was not emptying at all.

This 1st machine was replaced under warranty but the 2nd one still has the SAME problem. When opening the drain valve cold, absolutely nothing comes out and if the machine is hot, there is less than 5 ml that spits out as the boiler depressurizes.

I am a little concerned that two different brand new machines have the exact same problem. I am about to send it back for repair again but I would prefer avoiding doing so if this is an easy fix. I did not have time to open her up yet but if I recall correctly that corner of the machine is quite cramped up. Has anyone experienced this issue?

And for those who have the habit of draining both boilers simultaneously, id recommend making sure your brew boiler is actually emptying itself :shock:

Thanks

lancealot

#2: Post by lancealot »

I don't think it's clogged. Since the brew boiler is completely filled with water, it needs to be vented to be drained. Try opening the hot water knob when you drain it. I drain mine once a month. Sometimes it is stubborn and doesn't want to drain. I don't worry about it since brewing exchanges the water (unlike the steam boiler). If it doesn't drain, I think, "I'll get it next month."

Advanced troubleshooting option:
If you really wanna see if it's clogged, with the machine cold, take the top off, pull one of the probes out of the top of the brew boiler, then open the brew boiler drain. With this much of a vent, it should definitely drain.

Montrealer (original poster)

#3: Post by Montrealer (original poster) »

Thx for the reply.

I tried venting the pressure via the hot water tap but to no avail.

I think you might have a less severe version of the same problem. The drain really should work without any additional venting, i have seen it first hand.

When i get the 5mls from a "pressurised" drain it sounds like a valve/flapper is closing back up to cut flow.

grufromtheloo

#4: Post by grufromtheloo »

I have a new BDB and have the same issues with the brew boiler. Sometimes opening the solenoid helps:
Sometimes neither opening the solenoid or hot water knob help. Why? Not sure to be honest. I suspect it has to do with the location of the drain. On the brew boiler it comes off the side whereas steam boiler it comes off the bottom. I suspect that the brew boiler never really drains all of it's water because of this. It may be that when it appears not to drain the water is too low to hit the drain outlet and maybe also too high to trip the level sensors to cause a fill.

Montrealer (original poster)

#5: Post by Montrealer (original poster) »

Thank you for that video, the procedure worked!

This is odd because I never needed to do that on my 1st machine which was produced in 2017. I will have to find the original manual to see if this procedure was required back then, maybe a subsequently added safety feature?

Thanks again!