Breville Dual Boiler (BES920XL) Drain Tray Mod for Acaia Lunar Scale

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eltakeiteasy

#1: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Hi All,

I decided to do a project today while I am waiting for my LMLM. I think this was a pretty easy and a fun mod. I wanted to see how hard it was for when I get my LMLM to upgrade to this kit: https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... nar-scale/

Pictures of the mods and results:

LMWDP #672.

Advertisement
DaveB

#2: Post by DaveB »

That's awesome!

For the price of that LM drip tray you could buy NINE for the BDB. Why not just mod the stock one?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

eltakeiteasy (original poster)

#3: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) replying to DaveB »

I did mod the stock one :) Check out my link for pics. I was showing where I got the inspiration :) I will likely just buy the $67 insert from Pantechnicon Design.
LMWDP #672.

DaveB

#4: Post by DaveB »

Sorry, but when you wrote "upgrade to this kit" - with link to a 3rd-party, LMLM-compatable drip tray designed to hold a specific scale, it very much sounded like like you were going buy that kit. Otherwise how would you "upgrade to this kit"?

I was complimenting you on your modded BDB drip tray, so obviously I saw the pics. ;-) When I wrote "why not just mod the stock one?" I was referring to the stock LMLM drip tray, and was wondering why you would spend $178 (i.e. "upgrade to this kit") when you have clearly demonstrated that you would be more than capable of doing it yourself with the stock drip tray that comes with the LMLM.

Does that make sense?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

HH

#5: Post by HH »

This is super cool Dave! Did you use the LMLM or GS3 tray? They seem to offer two different versions and I wanted to masker sure I got the correct one/they were the same.
Was there any difficulty with the Breville's moulded drip tray (ie under the metal grille)? If you're able to do a step by step guide or set of instructions for the mod that would be awesome... but if it's as simple as:

1. cut correct size hole in drip tray
2. Insert scale housing

Then that's all I need to know :D
Henry

lancealot

#6: Post by lancealot »

That is awesome Ryan!
Can you show some more pics of the work? I am interested in seeing more of this mod and learning how to do it.
It looks great!

#7: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) »

DaveB wrote:Sorry, but when you wrote "upgrade to this kit" - with link to a 3rd-party, LMLM-compatable drip tray designed to hold a specific scale, it very much sounded like like you were going buy that kit. Otherwise how would you "upgrade to this kit"?

I was complimenting you on your modded BDB drip tray, so obviously I saw the pics. ;-) When I wrote "why not just mod the stock one?" I was referring to the stock LMLM drip tray, and was wondering why you would spend $178 (i.e. "upgrade to this kit") when you have clearly demonstrated that you would be more than capable of doing it yourself with the stock drip tray that comes with the LMLM.

Does that make sense?
Makes sense! Thanks for the compliments. I agree after this the full replacement drip tray is not needed. :) The reason it's a bit different is that the BDB has a "bump" in it which actually fits the Acaia Lunar scale perfectly :)

LMWDP #672.

Advertisement

#8: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:That is awesome Ryan!
Can you show some more pics of the work? I am interested in seeing more of this mod and learning how to do it.
It looks great!
Hey! I didn't take many more pics. I decided to cut it and then bend it to keep it with a "clean" look. Here are a few more pics. It's really a pretty simple mod IMO.

LMWDP #672.

lancealot

#9: Post by lancealot »

Thanks!
So is it sitting balanced on the raised black plastic hump in the drip tray? Or were you able to bend the drip tray grill to support the scale from underneath?

#10: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) replying to lancealot »

It's just sitting on the raised black plastic hump. It literally fits perfectly and balances out correctly each time for me so far :)

Once I saw that the Lunar fit on that hump it was a no-brainer to try since it was a $15 experiment and a few hours of guessing and testing.
LMWDP #672.