Breville Dual Boiler (BDB), the end of the line? - Page 11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Chris65

#101: Post by Chris65 »

ultramaroon wrote:Looks like this deal is still available. I have a first generation 900 still kicking though it's been spazzy for a few years now. I'd been meaning to send it in for the $350 service but keep putting it off, partly because i don't want to be without the machine even though it doesn't make a perfect cup anymore. Now, I'm thinking just get a new one for 800. If I might ask, what are the 2018 upgrades? Any reason I shouldn't go for it???
Seems like the only 2018 upgrades are the screw in Fittings for tubes into the boilers. No one is sure if it will provide a great benefit might make it more durable and less likely to develop steam leaks but replacing the o rings to fix leaks is pretty easy.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but was this ever confirmed to by a 2018 upgrade or just that it was upgraded at some point?

BaristaBob

#102: Post by BaristaBob »

ultramaroon wrote:Looks like this deal is still available. I have a first generation 900 still kicking though it's been spazzy for a few years now. I'd been meaning to send it in for the $350 service but keep putting it off, partly because i don't want to be without the machine even though it doesn't make a perfect cup anymore. Now, I'm thinking just get a new one for 800. If I might ask, what are the 2018 upgrades? Any reason I shouldn't go for it???
Andy,

Go back to post #84 and your question will be totally answered by Peter (one of our BDB experts)! 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#103: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Chris65 wrote:Seems like the only 2018 upgrades are the screw in Fittings for tubes into the boilers. No one is sure if it will provide a great benefit might make it more durable and less likely to develop steam leaks but replacing the o rings to fix leaks is pretty easy.
This is true. I have the new screw in type fittings and if they develop leaks, you will either have to replace the whole tube, or find a silicone o-ring that is of a conical shape and the right size. Certainly not as easy as ordering up a lifetime supply of standard o-rings for $10 off Amazon. While it's kind of cool knowing I have the "latest and greatest", it might not be so cool if I have to deal with fixing leaks. Time will tell. It certainly looks robust though.
Chris65 wrote:Also correct me if I'm wrong but was this ever confirmed to by a 2018 upgrade or just that it was upgraded at some point?
We know so far, that the "four screw" removable group lip that is current today, came along at some point in 2017. Pretty sure the tubing nuts came along after that. Mine was a June 2018 build and it has the tubing nuts (as well as the "four screw lip"), and I am the only one I know of so far, that has one with tube nuts. Of course there may well be people who have new BDB's but did not open them up first thing for a look-see, before even plugging it in, like I did. ;)

-Peter
LMWDP #553

ultramaroon

#104: Post by ultramaroon »

Thanks for all the info. Was going to go for it but wouldn't let me order online to ship to the US (it gave me $1 billion shipping). I called them up and they said the online people will be back on Tuesday and would help me. Hopefully, they'll still have some then (since they haven't run out yet, it doesn't seem like they will). But for those who were able to order it online, is there something I'm missing?

Chris65

#105: Post by Chris65 replying to ultramaroon »

Nope that's right. I ordered one a last week and you had to either call or email them and they send you an invoice to pay through PayPal. It took a week for mine to be delivered from the day I ordered.

GregoryJ

#106: Post by GregoryJ »

It looks like the BDB is no longer on Costco's website, unless I'm just not finding it. I was considering buying from them because they have pretty generous customer service.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#107: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Breville made a couple of evolutionary improvements one in late 2017 and another incorporated in early mid 2018. I have read it speculated that the great Costco pricing was blowing out a batch of the ones that did not have these changes. No big deal. The changes do not make better espresso. They just have either durability or maintenance implications... One of which is not confirmed as a definite plus.

-Peter
LMWDP #553