Breville Dual Boiler ball valve detail, pics - Page 27

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mikegray

#261: Post by mikegray »

Umm. OK. You guys are awesome, but I don't think you're used to people as thick-skulled as me!

I removed the lower clip, but the valve is definitely still attached.

I THINK that the valve assembly is ALSO attached to the steam on/off lever right around its mid-point. I'm GUESSING that there is some way to remove the steam lever so that I can get it out??

I.e., this axis:

DaveB

#262: Post by DaveB »

With the little hairpin clip removed, just pull straight up. The only friction is from the tiny 007 O-ring. Don't be shy! :D

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
DaveB

#263: Post by DaveB »

mikegray wrote:Umm. OK. You guys are awesome, but I don't think you're used to people as thick-skulled as me!
Oh shoot - I just realized you still have the handle attached! This has to come off, as there's a screw holding the middle of the valve.
And don't worry, I've done worse "thick sculled" stuff than that, such as unnecessarily cutting a pump wire AFTER being assured it wasn't necessary; I forgot to RTFM. :oops:

Check out this post I made yesterday. it shows how to remove the knob sleeve. Also see Peter's video at the bottom of my post. If you're worried about possibly marring the knob, try to use something other than metal. Once that's done, use a medium Phillips screwdriver to remove the little screw in the center of the lever. This is what holds it in place (and prevents the valve from being lifted up).

Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

mikegray

#264: Post by mikegray »

Ooooook - now I'm making some progress.

Any tips on how to get the grey plastic cylinder thing out? I've removed the screw sunk about half-a-mile down the shaft, but it still wants to stay where it is.

(Any chance that I ALSO need to loosen the nut holding in the steam wand itself??)

DaveB

#265: Post by DaveB »

mikegray wrote:Any tips on how to get the grey plastic cylinder thing out? I've removed the screw sunk about half-a-mile down the shaft, but it still wants to stay where it is.
You need to put those 3 screws back in and then the whole thing will pull straight out (with the handle), freeing the valve to come straight up. You can also use the handle to adjust the correct friction on the ball once you flip the seals. You want it so you can't turn the ball by hand, but you can with the handle (or needle nosed pliers) attached.

mikegray

#266: Post by mikegray »

Got it - just as you posted!

DaveB

#267: Post by DaveB »

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. Also see the edit to my post above. As Peter says, the "cool kids" leave the case screws off which allows for quick access whenever. You can also leave the plastic knob cover off as I did - at least temporarily.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
mikegray

#268: Post by mikegray »

Boom!

All done. The rest of the job was simple, no more leaky steam wand!

I DID have one final wild adventure, though: On first re-build I didn't get one of the steam tubes clipped in all the way. When I built the thing up again and let the machine heat up, the tube suddenly blew out and sent a cloud of steam billowing through the kitchen. Fortunately, nothing was damaged - even the O-ring was still in place. So I double checked all my connections, re-built again, and it's been all good since then.

I REALLY ought to make a video tutorial of the entire process, though. I usually prefer reading, but if tearing down coffee machines isn't a kind of, like, hobby or something, some of the steps are pretty tricky. (Or else I'm just pretty dense!)

Thanks so much for all that help!

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#269: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) » replying to mikegray »

You were just play acting at being a bumbler. :wink: You had this air of confidence about you. I could just tell.

Seriously though, congratulations and well done.

And thanks to Dave for helping out. This is a great community.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mikegray

#270: Post by mikegray »

Thanks again, you guys.

This isn't one of these situations where you buy/build/mod the Thing and then have a mystical coffee experience - but it's just nice to have the machine working right.

I got it from a guy in Germany who sold it used for a little less that $500 - and with your help I now have a machine doing exactly what it would do if it were brand new: pushing that syrupy thicc espresso, frothing some silky milk - and NOT dribbling water all over the place and ramping its steam pump while it does it. Sweet!