Breville Dual Boiler ball valve detail, pics - Page 17

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#161: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

I only went as far as considering using an industrial quality valve. Though that was going to come next if I hadn't found out that the stock ones are serviceable/rebuildable. I have a ton of non-cupped PTFE seals that are otherwise the right thickness and diameter. I got a bag of a hundred from AmazonUSA for under $10USD. I put some in one of my spare ball valves a couple of days ago to try when my flipped seals eventually leak again. From my perspective this issue is solved.

HOWEVER, I'm not in the least disinterested in the bling of an industrial quality valve... as long as they too are serviceable like the Breville valve. I'd hate to have to fork over the $$$ to buy a new one every time it's needed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

bhennessy

#162: Post by bhennessy replying to pcrussell50 »

I would agree that polishing the ball, flipping the seals or using new ones, popping in a new 008 oring, and lubing them is the way to go. Always fun to tinker though :wink:

Did the non cupped seals take the shape of the ball as you hoped? Have you ever run these seals in your machine? $10 seems like a deal!

Note to self: Always have PTFE seals, 007, 008, 010 Aflas on hand - replace once a year > enjoy coffee! :D

Advertisement

#163: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Agree about tinkering. And how cool it would be to have an industrial ball.

I'm on a trip right now but I'll check the valve with the non -cupped seals when I get back.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

lancealot

#164: Post by lancealot »

Look what came today. Backorder from ereplacement parts for about 30 days. Woot!

#165: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Brendan, you are pole vaulting your way up the ever prestigious, "BDB mad skillz" charts. Amazing efforts by you to learn and do. Very well done, mate. Please keep contributing.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#166: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

Sooo... There have been two approaches to servicing the steam ball valve, which we have found is re buildable instead of disposable.

When the steam wand drip eventually starts, it appears it's' due to the seals in the valve, getting "loose" and no longer pressing against the ball with enough force to hold back the steam.

There have been two approaches to fixing this that I have noticed. My way, and everyone else's way. :wink:

1) what everyone else has done has been to add some sort of shim underneath the steam side seal, so that when you screw the two halves back together, the steam side seal now presses tighter against the ball, and your drip goes away. Well done. I think what drives this approach is the desire to keep the conical side of the seal, against the ball. (Somebody correct me if this assumption is wrong).

2) what I have done differently is to take advantage of a unique characteristic of PTFE. This is the fact that it acts like a thick liquid and will flow without being heated, to make the shape of whatever it's pressed against. Thus from my perspective, there is no need or reason to keep the conical side against the ball. If you flip the it over and put the flat side against the ball, it will slowly flow and conform to the shape of the ball. Engineering geekery alert: you do not need a conforming surface to make the seal. The seal in a ball valve is made by a line of contact, not a surface of contact.

Here is a pic of what was a perfectly flat, non conical PTFE washer a couple of days ago, taken out of my bag of 100 PTFE washers I got off EbayZon for a few bucks. Now it's perfectly conical, and this is why I don't see flipping the seals as a hack. It's exactly how the system was designed unless somehow the engineers did not understand PTFE, and simply made a fortunate blunder (doubtful):

Both methods obviously work. So why do I think flipping the seals is better? Well, since leaks eventually develop when the seal becomes loose against the ball, by seal flipping, you don't have to tighten the two halves of the valve body all the way. Just tight enough to make the seal. Over time, (two years or so?) the seal will flow and become loose again, just like it did when new. Then you can tighten some more without having to disassemble and go another two years. So what's wrong with shimming? Well, if you keep adding shims, you are also adding extra volume of material to a limited space. If you don't manage it right, the PTFE will have to flow somewhere and it may go towards closing or distorting the shape of the hole. Now, the hole is MUCH bigger than it needs to be, so distorting it and shrinking it may be much adieu about nothing, and my argument may be more one of elegance than actual function.

So there. Two perspectives. Both work. When you get your steam leak as we all eventually do, you can fix it either way you choose.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

bhennessy

#167: Post by bhennessy »

pcrussell50 wrote:When the steam wand drip eventually starts, it appears it's' due to the seals in the valve, getting "loose" and no longer pressing against the ball with enough force to hold back the steam.
Thanks Peter for the analysis and recommendations. However, in my case, like that in post 133 of this thread Tarnished ball, it is my feeling that the corroded steel ball is more to blame than the seals, although they may be important as well.

When I took mine apart the ball was quite rough and had some noticeable edges on the surface, so it was no surprise that it developed a slow drip. For all I know I may not have even needed to raise the seal after I polished the ball (with steel wool). I will say that having the flat PTFE seals flow into the ball shape is a good find, especially for a few cents.

As I mentioned before, I applied silicone lube to the ball valve innards. This combined with the polishing has provided an extremely smooth lever action. In the future as the action tightens or binds somewhat, this may be my indication that it is time to re-polish the ball, replace the PTFE, and re-lube. From there with a handful of 007, 008, 010 Aflas o-rings, I would say that we are good to go.

One last thing. As you know the steam temperature can be adjusted from the default 275F to 285F. I had mine at 285F to speed up milk texturing. I wonder if this increased heat and pressure could cause early failure for the steam boiler seals and ball valve etc.?

Has anyone else set the steam temp to max 285F :?:

Advertisement
gchapman

#168: Post by gchapman »

Brendan,
One of the first things I did when I got my BDB 9 months ago was to set the steam temp up to 285. My steam valve has had a very slow leak for 3 or 4 months. Haven't gotten around to fixing it... yet. Another piece of data for you.
Geoff
Geoff Chapman

lancealot

#169: Post by lancealot »

285. I have wondered the same thing.

#170: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to lancealot »

It's... possible of course. But we're only talking about an 8 psi increase, from 45'ish PSI to 53'ish absolute pressure. Of course that An 18% increase in absolute pressure so not quite trivial.

For the record, I still had my old -900 until summer 2018 and that only had the tiniest drip after six years. Probably first developed at three four, but it never got much worse. The-900 did not have selectable steam temperature. Now that I've had a -920 for the last year and a half, I haven't bothered to change it hotter. I don't drink many milk drinks and when I do they are tiny amounts of milk so the lower pressure gives me better control anyway.

So maybe my good steam valve durability has been due to running at lower pressure? :shrugs

-Peter
LMWDP #553