Breville Dual Boiler ball valve detail, pics - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
grimeywelsh

#11: Post by grimeywelsh »

Thanks for the info. I don't love the idea grinding and filing, but I want to be prepared.It is a pretty slow drip now, but I don't know how long it will be before it is a real problem, and I don't like the idea of paying $400 for a Breville repair.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#12: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

First of all, your slow drip may stay like that for years before it gets worse, if ever. So no need to kill yourself addressing this....

... Anyway

Remember to keep the top and bottom ends of the stock ball valve, to replace onto the new one. The eBay valve is only a little bit too long. If you don't shorten it, the plastic tube will have a little bow in it, which might not be the end of the world. I have an electric grinder, so it would be easy for me to shorten mine.

Remember, the required valve is simply 1/4" BSPP female threaded. BSPP = British standard parallel pipe thread. It's very common in the world even if it's not here in the USA, in countless brands. It may very well be that there are many out there that will fit better. We just don't know about it yet and are eagerly awaiting someone out there to discover it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
grimeywelsh

#13: Post by grimeywelsh »

pcrussell50 wrote:First of all, your slow drip may stay like that for years before it gets worse, if ever. So no need to kill yourself addressing this....
It has been a slow drip for a while, what I notice now is that the steam isn't what it should be. It doesn't give me good microfoam, and it seems to take longer to steam milk than it has in the past. I assumed it was related to the drip, but is it possible that there is a different issue going on also?

#14: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) » replying to grimeywelsh »

Yes, it's very possible that steam is leaking out not only through the seals around the ball, but around the side seals that lead to the knob that turns the ball. If that is happening, the steam is creating moisture inside the casing of the machine and could cause problems if if wets down the triac under the cup warmer. Fortunately those problems usually go away as soon as it dries up. But there are some parts inside there that are regular steel and they can rust if they stay moist long enough.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#15: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

We'll looky here!

Maybe all is not lost after all.

Marty in another thread found this: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ball- ... 75268.html

I already have not one, but two spares, but someone ought to be able to benefit.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

klund

#16: Post by klund »

pcrussell50 wrote:We'll looky here!
I already have one spare on hand (along with OPV and o-rings), so I should be good. Hopefully some other BDB owners will be able to grab one!

grimeywelsh

#17: Post by grimeywelsh »

Thank You! I just replaced my solenoid, and that seemed to fix more than I thought it would, but the drip has been getting steadily worse. I looked on ereplacementparts just last week, so this must be really recent. I honestly feel like it is Christmas. On a side note, I upgraded the panel on the Sette W to the Wi, and it has made my Sette a dream!

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts

#18: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

An abundance of caution says not to count your chickens until they're hatched. This part is the right part, but you cannot find it under either the -900 or the -920 listings. So you were right that it wasn't there when you looked. And it still isn't.That means that it's possible that ereplacementparts just failed to catalog it right and that it's not actually available. In which case, you will order it, then hear back from them that they can't get it. Just saying. Go ahead and order it up and report back to us how it goes. Fingers crossed... Collectively... all of us...

-Peter
LMWDP #553

grimeywelsh

#19: Post by grimeywelsh »

Oh, I see that it is a different part number. I googled the part number and the only English site that came up (other than here or ereplacement parts) was https://media.needapart.co.nz/manuals/BES900_Full.pdf. Which seems to indicate that it is the correct part number. Hopefully, I will get it this week and have time over the weekend to install it and put it through its paces. I will report back.

#20: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

From another thread, this really belongs here:

Yes, that is the one. Almost. Only that one you are showing has USA 1/4 pipe thread (NPT, National Pipe Thread), and Breville uses BSPP 1/4 British Parallel Pipe Thread. Also called G 1/4 thread. No worries. There are still tons to choose from. The part under the handle is just a wee bit too big. I filed it down to fit the Breville handle. It's brass, so it's easy going with a steel file. Mine is also a we bit over a tenth of an inch longer than the Breville body.

There is also this ball valve that is only 1mm shorter than the Breville, and also sports the hourglass shape of the Breville. http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 3000&ver=0

I feel it is a more likely fit candidate, but at $16, it's three times the price, so I figured my first experiment should be with the cheapo.

-Peter
LMWDP #553