Breville Dual Boiler 920 steam boiler won't heat

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
klund

#1: Post by klund »

Hello,

I've searched the forums here for years, but finally decided to join so I can post a question. I have a Breville Dual Boiler 920 that I've been working on for months now. I had a leaking steam wand ball valve, finally got a replacement part, and got that issue resolved. After replacing that part and replacing some o-rings in areas that were leaking, I got everything put back together, and ... steam boiler won't heat (dreaded 3 beeps when flipping the lever).

I've tried:
  • Doing the hardness reset
  • Descale
  • Descale with a heated boiler
  • Checking the probes for calcification
  • Opening the drain valves and letting it sit overnight
I ordered a volt meter, and am going to try and see if I can find a connection that isn't giving power, but won't have that until Monday. I thought I'd check with this group and see if anybody has any other thoughts about what my issue might be.

I know that the boiler is getting filled, and the espresso is still delightful. I just need this steam wand to work!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Kevin (klund from CoffeeGeek)

jchung

#2: Post by jchung »

Maybe a bad thermistor or thermocouple. Don't recall which the BDB uses. On other espresso machines.... that would be the first thing I would check.

ziggomatic

#3: Post by ziggomatic »

I had the 3 beep issue after about 1.5 years with my 920 and after in the end I had to send the unit back to Breville for servicing :-/ I'm sure you are trying hard to avoid that so hopefully can find the fix yourself. Good luck!

klund (original poster)

#4: Post by klund (original poster) replying to ziggomatic »

Yes, I'm trying to avoid that! I will update if I fix it!