Breville BES870 solenoid elbow leaking

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jamesobrady

#1: Post by jamesobrady »

Hi there,
My most important get-through-the-day tool has a leak at the solenoid elbow pictured :(
This parts seems difficult to source and I'd rather not have to replace the entire solenoid assembly due to cost. ($140 here in New Zealand).

I'm thinking the elbow and connection fittings could be replaced at the base with a 90deg elbow and push or compression fitting to the rigid pipe.
Has anyone does this before and possibly knows what the thread size at the solenoid base is please?
Any thoughts or reasons for/against this idea ?

Thank you,
James.

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

Have you taken it apart yet? Might just need new o-rings or something simple. The elbow part looks like it's just a cover.

https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/ ... connector/

Sorry, I know nothing about your machine, so can't recommend thread size, etc.

samjam91

#3: Post by samjam91 »

Hey had the same problem myself on a 3 year old machine, sorry if this is a bit late but may help someone else. I switched the old cracked plastic elbow for a food grade metal 16bar high temperature rated elbow. Size is 4mm push fit to 1/8 bspp https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Tempera ... 2749.l2648 make sure you get a high temp and correct pressure rating or it may explode or the seals will fail quickly.

Screws straight into the solenoid, cut the metal grommet/clamp off the original ptfe 4mm tube making sure the cut is perfectly straight, push the cut end into the push fitting, then pull the push fitting collar outwards to activate the clamp. Works a treat and a solid upgrade from plastic parts.

Very annoying this is a blatant planned obsolescence part imo, plastic mixed with heat, pressure and age is always gonna fail. OEM parts are impossible to find as sage controls the market. Will charge you £300 for a repair to change a £4 part in 20 minutes on a £400 machine. Really they want you to buy a new machine and for your old one to go to landfill. Puts me off the brand completely. Looking at properly built machines designed to last with well distributed parts if i were to upgrade in the future. Loving look of the Lelit MaraX. Hope you got yours sorted.

helifella

#4: Post by helifella »

samjam91 wrote:Hey had the same problem myself on a 3 year old machine, sorry if this is a bit late but may help someone else. I switched the old cracked plastic elbow for a food grade metal 16bar high temperature rated elbow. Size is 4mm push fit to 1/8 bspp video make sure you get a high temp and correct pressure rating or it may explode or the seals will fail quickly.

Screws straight into the solenoid, cut the metal grommet/clamp off the original ptfe 4mm tube making sure the cut is perfectly straight, push the cut end into the push fitting, then pull the push fitting collar outwards to activate the clamp. Works a treat and a solid upgrade from plastic parts.

Very annoying this is a blatant planned obsolescence part imo, plastic mixed with heat, pressure and age is always gonna fail. OEM parts are impossible to find as sage controls the market. Will charge you £300 for a repair to change a £4 part in 20 minutes on a £400 machine. Really they want you to buy a new machine and for your old one to go to landfill. Puts me off the brand completely. Looking at properly built machines designed to last with well distributed parts if i were to upgrade in the future. Loving look of the Lelit MaraX. Hope you got yours sorted.
Thanks for the link to a more resilient replacement part.

It took me an age just to find somewhere that had the replacement plastic part and I was procrastinating on buying it because I knew it would only be a temporary fix. AUD13.47 for plastic vs AUD20 for metal. Worth it for me, even if I do have to wait a couple extra weeks for the part to arrive from the UK.

I agree, it is planned obsolescence. Such a cheap part for a reasonably expensive machine.