Breville Barista Touch has no brew pressure, time to give up ?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MoccaKing

#1: Post by MoccaKing »

Hi everyone,

I've got the breville barista touch since 4 years... worked perfectly till 2 weeks ago.

It's simply looks it lost the brewing pressure but I'm. Not sure.
It startet that the extracted coffee is just tripping in to the cup through the brewing process. Not oven the half amount of coffee what should be in the cap came out.
Tried it again, this time nothing came out.
I did a brew process without the portafilter... water runs perfectly... I put the portafiler back in with grinder coffee , it's again just tripping in the cup or not running.

What is wrong ? I really don't understand it.
Is it the grind settings, size, amount, pressure ?
I'm so close to through that machine in the bin...

What grinding settings do you guys use ?

The machine gets cleaned and descaled on a regulate base so no issues there.

I would much appreciate if someone can halo me with that issue ...I just want a nice coffee again

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by rhtrevino »

Welcome to H-B Paul!

I have the same machine currently and have owned it for a couple of years also. The only time I've had the problem you describe is when I have ground too fine and it chokes the machine. Have you changed anything with your normal recipe (new coffee, new grind size, etc)?

Every grinder will be slightly different but I'm usually in the 3-7 depending on the coffee (I have not used the "macro" adjustment on the inner burr to go finer). I dose 19g in the non-pressurized basket with WDT and the stock tamper and aim for 38-40g in the cup in 30 seconds.

You said that when you run a shot with no portafilter everything looks okay. That's good. Do you hear any unusual sounds like the pump sounding unusual? Others may have an immediate idea of what's going on but I'm sure we can help sort it out.

Advertisement
PeetsFan

#3: Post by PeetsFan »

They're pretty easy machines to repair, if something's broken.

Once you open it up, you first look for a water leak. If there's no leak, the problem is either the $40 pump or a $100-ish solenoid valve.

Does your machine have a pressure gauge? If so, try running a shot with the rubber cleaning disk. What pressure does it display when you run a shot with the cleaning disk?