Breville Barista Pro - Inconsistent output with a standard process? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jcmonty (original poster)

#31: Post by jcmonty (original poster) »

That's what I was hoping to hear! My niche is slated for the April timelines; eagerly awaiting it. That should tide me over for a few months :D

nameisjoey

#32: Post by nameisjoey »

jcmonty wrote:That's a good suggestion. Right now.. I run blind shots through the pressurized basket, but it's a bit annoying to swap baskets and/or PFs (I use a bottomless PF primarily now). I will give that a shot. Should be a cleaner workflow
Yes, I use to do that and absolutely hated the workflow. This is a much easier work flow and also works wonders in pre heating your cup!

Advertisement
jcmonty (original poster)

#33: Post by jcmonty (original poster) »

Question(s) that may be more general than machine specific:

I know that norm is rough 30s for a 2:1 ratio shot. This is obviously a starting point only, and not to be taken as gospel. Most of the roasters that I have been trying give out recipes or will provide when ask. My question is two fold and is in regards to pre-infusion:

1) When a recipe calls for "20g in/ 36g out in 24-26s", should I include my pre-infusion time in that total or is that from first drop, generally speaking, when considering a starting point?

2) I have found very little reference to this particular machines method of pre-infusion, and what it's actually doing pressure and flow-wise. In manual mode, I seem to be able to hold it as long as I want, and I generally go between 8-12s waiting to see espresso covering the bottom of the PF. Does anyone have a recommendation on "technique" with simple pre-infusion that would work with this style machine, or is it another variable to tune in the dialing in process? FWIW, I don't seem to notice a difference in my range of pre-infusion times, but I have yet to try something really outside that range (i.e. 2 second or 20 seconds, etc).

I have read many of the topics regarding pre-infusion and whether or not to include it in the time, but it doesn't seem to have a consensus from what I have found. Obviously, everything is out the window with some of the more modern types of flow and pressure profiling this is going on these days.

Thanks again for the wisdom!