Breville Barista Express requiring coarser grind

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MarisaGenevieve

#1: Post by MarisaGenevieve »

Hello! I've had my (used) Breville Barista Express for over 6 months, and was having great luck with it. My grind would stay between 5-6 and internal burr I think was at a 4? I can't remember right now. Everything was great until recently where I've needed to go all the way up to an 8 to get a decent shot pulled, where it isn't going past 30 seconds for a 36g shot. I tried doing 17g of beans instead of 18, but it didn't make a big difference. I've kept the same brand of coffee, and only buy 12oz bags that are freshly roasted, so it should be pretty consistent from that stand point (I think!).

Why would I suddenly need to keep getting so coarse? If I go from an 8 to a 7, I just get tiny drips, if anything. Water flows really freely through the filter if it's empty, so I don't think it's clogged. I tried backflushing as well as running Grindz through the grinder, but to no avail.

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

Where is the pressure gauge when pulling your shot vs. when the cleaning disk is installed?

MarisaGenevieve (original poster)

#3: Post by MarisaGenevieve (original poster) »

It doesn't move up at all with the cleaning disk, but goes to one notch past center with the filter
luvmy40 wrote:Where is the pressure gauge when pulling your shot vs. when the cleaning disk is installed?

#4: Post by MarisaGenevieve (original poster) »

It goes a notch past center with the filter, but with the cleaning disk it goes all the way to the right.

*just realized I used the pressurized filter with no disk in my last comment :roll:

JRising

#5: Post by JRising »

MarisaGenevieve wrote:It goes a notch past center with the filter, but with the cleaning disk it goes all the way to the right.
:
Okay, so the machine is fine. Adjust the grinder accordingly finer to bring the pressure up to where the gauge says it should be and the micro-adjust from there by taste.

#6: Post by MarisaGenevieve (original poster) »

I'm confused.. the pressure gauge is where it should be when the grind is at an 8, so why go finer? If I go finer than an 8, all I get are drips of espresso. Nothing more than 15g in 30 seconds.

JRising

#7: Post by JRising »

My apologies, coarser in this case. (It's the time of year when the air is getting drier and drier and 9 out of 10 grinder adjustment suggestions are to grind finer to adjust for it). You've fairly well proven that the brewer is working properly by checking it's pressure at 2 different flow rates, so adjusting the grinder would be the way to control the flow rate and pressure.

#8: Post by MarisaGenevieve (original poster) »

Ahh okay that's interesting! Thanks. I suppose there isn't a "problem" then, I just never hear of people going as coarse as I am... but if it works, it works.

luvmy40

#9: Post by luvmy40 » replying to MarisaGenevieve »

Exactly!

Does the espresso taste good?

If so, all is fine with the world!