Breville Barista Express - No pressure on 2 shot single wall

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
paulvinh

#1: Post by paulvinh »

I just got the Breville Barista Express 870xl last friday. I've been trying to pull a 2 shot single wall all weekend but can not get the pressure meter into the gray recommended area. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and how to resolve it?

I must have wasted 2.5 bags of coffee beans testing this over the weekend. With a 1 shot single wall, I can pull shot with pressure gauge in the right area.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

How many grams of coffee are you using. You may need to invest in a cheap scale. I recommend a 500g .01 resolution. Two things to do. Increase dose. try 17g. Grind finer. If you are at finest setting i think that unit has another setting for the top burr. Problem is that your coffee is not providing enough resistance for pump

slipchuck

#3: Post by slipchuck »

paulvinh wrote:I just got the Breville Barista Express 870xl last friday. I've been trying to pull a 2 shot single wall all weekend but can not get the pressure meter into the gray recommended area. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and how to resolve it?

I must have wasted 2.5 bags of coffee beans testing this over the weekend. With a 1 shot single wall, I can pull shot with pressure gauge in the right area.
That gauge isn't all that accurate. Like bluenoser suggests get a scale and go from there

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

BrahmaG

#4: Post by BrahmaG »

Same boat as the poster. Hopefully, I don't have to go through 2.5bags to find out the right setting.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bluenoser »

The grinder is a key factor. It is often the weaker link in the Breville combo units which is to be expected to keep costs down. Finding the right grind can take some time, but you just need to find a suitable dose of your double basket and keep grinding finer. Sometimes there is a grinder adjustment outside and another one hidden to move the top burr. Just read the manual carefully. Start with a 17g dose and keep grinding finer until you get about 34 grams liquid out in 26-32 seconds. Use the manual button (if there is one) where you just press and it will deliver water until you stop. Otherwise program your double button for at least 50g and then manually stop it at the right time. Once you get in the range, you need to adjust the grind slightly depending on the taste of what you get. This is hard if you aren't an espresso taste expert (which I'm not). It comes over time and tasting espresso from good cafes. Sometimes the beans can be hard to 'dial in'; if they are too dark or old. The fresher, the better, but you should be able to dial in a store-bought roast that is decent (such as Lavazza, or Illy beans)

You'll go through a few beans at first.. it is not unusual to waste a pound when you 'play'. Eventually, you'll only waste about 3 doses (50g) when you get new beans.