Breville Barista Express: how to fit a portafilter with funnel into the grinder?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
javajeff

#1: Post by javajeff »

I'm not sure if this is a problem with standalone grinders, but when I use the grinder on my BBE, I can't do so with a funnel on the top of the filter. It doesn't fit.

I've tried two things:

- Just grinding directly into the filter in two phases, tapping the filter between the two phases so the grounds get evenly distributed. The problem with this method is that it makes a mess, and it's hard to get enough coffee into the filter before tamping in order to meet desired weight (usually 18g).
- Grinding into a container and then transferring back to the filter (that has the funnel on it) after weighing the proper amount of grounds. The problem here is that I have to poke the grinder-activation button with a small stick or screwdriver, it makes a mess, and requires me to stoop over and peer into the dark to make sure I hit the button.

How have others solved this dilemma?

klee11mtl

#2: Post by klee11mtl »

If you search Etsy for "breville grinder funnel", you'll see some options. I use the dosing cup from Crema but there are also similar other options available online.

javajeff (original poster)

#3: Post by javajeff (original poster) »

Cool, I see the 3d printed devices on Etsy. But I like your idea of the Crema dosing cup better. I'll give that a try. Thanks!