Breville Barista Express (BES870XL), low pressure with two cups filter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
5ergio

#1: Post by 5ergio »

but no problem with the one cup filter, how is that possible? I have set the grind size to the minimum, I press like there was no tomorrow, but the needle never gets to "espresso range". When I use the single shot filter, instead, I have no problem getting consistently in the middle of the "espresso range".
Has anyone ever experienced something similar?
Any idea about the possible cause?

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I am guessing the single has fewer holes and so builds pressure more easily. It may not be grinding fine enough for the beans you are using, can you tell us what beans? Or maybe not using enough coffee, can you increase the dose?

5ergio (original poster)

#3: Post by 5ergio (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the number of holes. Interesting hipotesys! Though, the less holes should balance the less coffee water has to pass through. Right?
I can't increase the dose, I already had to trim some excess after tamping.
The beans are Trader's Joe medium roast decaf. I know, there's much better coffee around, but wife is breastfeeding and baby is restive enough without caffeine... And, in all honesty, the flavor is not too bad for a cheap decaf, when I use the single cup filter. When I use the double, it lacks body and taste too acidic.