Breville 870xl Grinder Won't Unlock

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cirez

#1: Post by cirez »

I just got a Breville 870xl and I am trying to clean out the burr grinder for the first time. I removed the hopper emptied the beans, the put the hopper back on and ran the grinder to remove any beans still inside the grinder.

I proceeded to remove the hopper again and tried to take off the top burr from the grinder. It seems to be stuck in the locked position and I cannot get it out. I looked at some videos online and it seems like it should unlock very easily.

Any ideas on why it would be stuck in the locked position and I how I can get it out?

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I would start by putting the grinder on the coarsest setting. If still wont budge then put a vacuum on the exit shoot while running the grinder to clear out the chamber. If still won't move, then I am guessing it was put in wrong or put back in while still dirty. I would then try rocking back and forth tighter and looser trying to work free. Could try spanning the eyelets with a pair of pliers to get more leverage, but run the risk of damaging/ruining the burr carrier by doing that, so I would only do as a last resort. Personally, I wouldn't put any petroleum based product in there either, e.g. wd40, because it could catch fire from electrics. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

By the 'top burr' do you mean the outer burr? It's a conical burr grinder so there's an inner and outer. If the outer burr is stuck, you really have to twist the wire handle fairly hard to pop it out of its locked position. It should give eventually. Don't worry about doing harm - there's no real damage a forceful unlock can do to the grinder or the stops.

cirez (original poster)

#4: Post by cirez (original poster) replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

Yes I mean the outer burr. I will try the suggestions so far and see if I can get it to unlock.

cirez (original poster)

#5: Post by cirez (original poster) »

Looks like one of the slots where the upper burr locks into place had some residue that was causing the upper burr to get stuck. Some elbow grease did the trick and I managed to get it unlocked.

Thanks for all the tips. Will come in handy in the future.

marlodmb

#6: Post by marlodmb »

Does your 870xl have to extra adjustments on the top burr like mine?

When I took mine out I had to give it some elbow grease but have no problem anymore.

chrisbodnarphoto

#7: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

cirez wrote:Looks like one of the slots where the upper burr locks into place had some residue that was causing the upper burr to get stuck. Some elbow grease did the trick and I managed to get it unlocked.

Thanks for all the tips. Will come in handy in the future.
Glad to hear it worked out! Enjoy the machine - it's better than most people think, especially for milk-based drinks! :)

cirez (original poster)

#8: Post by cirez (original poster) »

marlodmb wrote:Does your 870xl have to extra adjustments on the top burr like mine? <image>

When I took mine out I had to give it some elbow grease but have no problem anymore.
Yes it looks exactly like yours.

Really had to turn it firmly to get it unlocked, same with locking it back in place. Hopefully with more use it becomes easier to unlock.

marlodmb

#9: Post by marlodmb »

I vacuum it before I take it out and put back in and it helps a lot. I been making adjustment on the top burr I'm at #5setting right now. Will have my Verve beans Wednesday so im sure that will change (using starbucks kenya beans right now).

makgori

#10: Post by makgori »

My upper burr (the one you are supposed to remove and clean every three weeks) is stuck big time. I've been working on it for two days now and no luck.

I've called Breville and done the vacuum trick and have been trying to loosen it. They told me to push it down and turn it counter clockwise. I'm a little scared of breaking it. I've been cranking on it and trying to turn it loose. Any suggestions beyond what was said in the posts.

Thanks
Sam