Breville 870 grinder problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jeff.eileen

Postby jeff.eileen » Jul 13, 2018, 9:38 pm

The grinder is grinding but no ground coffee is coming out. I've inspected the burr and grind fan and both look fine, have ensured the passage from the grinder through to the outlet is clear, and it's still not working. It seems the beans aren't getting into the grinder and I don't know if it's the burr not drawing them down or if for some reason they're not falling from the hopper - I can't see anything wrong with the hopper. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening as I'm stumped.

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to jeff.eileen » Jul 13, 2018, 10:51 pm

I don't have one

But can you leave the hopper open and drop a couple beans by hand and watch what happens? My grinder always had burrs I could see when I look down the top. I can watch them get broken up.
LMWDP #603

tegwj

Postby tegwj » Yesterday, 9:31 am

When you say the grinder is grinding, do you just mean the motor is running or can you hear the beans being ground?

I would suggest removing the inner Burr and looking for compacted ground coffee as a blockage somewhere in the mechanism. I suspect you're fighting a dense plug of old and possibly oily grounds so running the machine more without removing it will not help you.

It's also easier to see how everything works with the Burr removed. Breville have good docs on supporting their machines, you can probably find the tools you need and maybe a video on YouTube showing the procedure in detail.