Brass espresso maker

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Connie3924

#1: Post by Connie3924 »

I recently ran across this vintage brass espresso maker I was wondering if somebody could tell me anything about it maybe its value and possibly the maker

NicaDon

#2: Post by NicaDon »

The only thing anyone can tell you absent description or photos is the value based on the weight of the brass.
LMWDP #730

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

A picture would help and a description of its operating condition and maintenance record. Brass is a popular metal used with lever espresso machines.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

I love threads like this. It is a mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a wonton wrapper perhaps with cream cheese in it.

NelisB

#5: Post by NelisB »

It's beautiful and it fits under your kitchen cabinets!

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Everyone's a comedian! I fixed the [img] tags in the first post so everyone can see the mystery brass espresso maker. :lol:
Dan Kehn

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

"Flip" dripper?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

C-Antonio

#8: Post by C-Antonio »

I cant tell if the spout has an ending with orifice or its an open spout with a cap (there might an hole on a cap too, one sees right away if it pops off or not)

It doesnt look like its a flip coffeemaker since it lacks any handle and it looks like its made to stay hanging onto something. Given the locking mechanism if you flip it it seems to me it would release. Then again if it was a flip type the boiler bottom would be opposite the half with the spout and there is a bit too much stuff on that end to actually be where the heat is...

Maybe a steam pressure coffeemaker, with a cap on the spout, travel type?

It would be nice if the pictures were of each side, tops and bottom and taken all apart... otherwise there is no way to spot any marking on it or even get how it works to classify it...
From those two pictures it could be even an oil lamp...
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

It's a nice, vintage miner's lamp. You can see a similar example below.

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo- ... ge84557216

You fill the cap with water which drips onto calcium carbide rock in the base to make acetylene gas which provides a flame out of the spout of the bottom section. Acetylene provides a good white light for mining purposes. I've never seen one like this before so it took me a while to get it. It looks like there's a drip adjustment on the top to adjust the flame.

Calcium Carbide is also used in toy cannons.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collecti ... s-and-hats
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

It resembles a German Wolf carbide lamp.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful