Blue PIDs

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dakota

#1: Post by Dakota »

Could you tell me which machines have blue PIDs on them? I think that the Brewtus IV and Duetto II do, I'm wondering if there are any others. I know it's just cosmetic (a red PID is just as good!) but I have a real preference for blue LED. Thanks!

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mitch236 »

I know the La Marzocco's use blue for their PID displays (not sure about the Linea though) although I have no idea where they source them.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Dakota wrote:Could you tell me which machines have blue PIDs on them? I think that the Brewtus IV and Duetto II do, I'm wondering if there are any others. I know it's just cosmetic (a red PID is just as good!) but I have a real preference for blue LED. Thanks!
That is one of the oddest questions I have seen on HB. The priority here is certainly centered on function and the espresso created. Not being critical, just observational. But be aware that blue light is more difficult than red for the human eye to focus on.

And with that said, the VBM DD has a blue LED display.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

duke-one

#4: Post by duke-one »

My new Linea has a Fuji PID with a red display. Just for fun there are PID's out there with displays that can be in any of three colors and can switch colors to match the conditions; blue at start up, orange while warming and red when at set point! Could be a lot of fun.
Duke

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Mayhem »

This might not hold true anymore, but back when I looked into it the difference actually did not seem to be merely cosmetic. My observations were these:
  • Every machine which came with a Gicar PID controller featuring a red display only had a single-channel unit controlling the brew boiler, with a separate pressostat controlling the steam boiler.
  • Every machine which came with a Gicar PID controller featuring a blue display had a multichannel unit which controlled both the brew and steam boiler.
Too much is not enough

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

VBM DD V.3 - Gicar - Blue display - single channel for brew only.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

spiffdude

#7: Post by spiffdude »

Randy G. wrote:That is one of the oddest questions I have seen on HB.
Just wrote about the same thing on another current thread. Must be a full moon or something
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

Dakota (original poster)

#8: Post by Dakota (original poster) »

Hey thanks so much for your help with the blue PID question! Granted, this is absolutely NOT a factor for the taste/quality of a shot! I think it's just a very aesthetic personal preference. Thanks for your patience with my crazy question! I have been spending a bit more time on the forum and just discovered the Breville DB. I'm getting lots of very conflicting reviews so I'm very unsure. The discounts I am seeing at WS though bring this well below the price of even the Silvano. As a blue PID'd machine :) I'm wondering whether you have any thoughts on this one. I will keep reading threads. Thanks again.

fizguy

#9: Post by fizguy »

I'm partial to blue LEDs since they are made from gallium nitride, a semiconductor material I get to play with at work.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Dakota wrote:Hey thanks so much for your help with the blue PID question! Granted, this is absolutely NOT a factor for the taste/quality of a shot! I think it's just a very aesthetic personal preference. Thanks for your patience with my crazy question! I have been spending a bit more time on the forum and just discovered the Breville DB. I'm getting lots of very conflicting reviews so I'm very unsure. The discounts I am seeing at WS though bring this well below the price of even the Silvano. As a blue PID'd machine :) I'm wondering whether you have any thoughts on this one. I will keep reading threads. Thanks again.

Are you serious? you mean you can't taste the difference between the different colors? I pity you! :oops: :lol:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/