Black particles in water reservoir?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bach

#1: Post by bach »

Hi everyone :)

I was doing a big spring clean on my Profitec 500 and I noticed that there's a little black residue inside my water reservoir. From further inspection it seems like the magnet used for the water level switch is slowly dissolving. It's definitely not coffee grounds, and there's quite a bit collected around the magnet slot itself. Visually the magnet does not seem to have changed much though, the particles are fairly fine.

Is this a known/common problem? Anything I should worry about?

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine a dissolved magnet will improve my health. Let alone my coffee flavour :lol:

Any advice/ideas appreciated!

ben8jam

#2: Post by ben8jam replying to bach »

Maybe it's picking up metal flakes in your water? Where are you getting your water from?

bach (original poster)

#3: Post by bach (original poster) replying to ben8jam »

I'm just using filtered tap water. We have pretty soft water here, no idea about mineral contents, but I'd be pretty surprised if there was enough stuff in there to show up visibly.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

At one point I was using a zero water filter. After awhile I noticed the inlet hose of my reservoir had a lot of black specks that looked metallic. they were comming from the zero water filter.

mrjag

#5: Post by mrjag »

If your water filter includes a carbon stage (charcoal) and it's very new or very old, it can release bits of charcoal. I'm not saying that's it, but it's a possibility.

bach (original poster)

#6: Post by bach (original poster) »

Oh that's an interesting thought, my water filter does indeed have charcoal part in it. It must be that, I was actually really doubtful that the magnet would be dissolving. This seems like a much more reasonable explanation :mrgreen:

What did you end up doing to fix this? Ideally I'd prefer to not have charcoal in my water, but I'm not sure how much of an issue this could cause tastewise and for the machine.

Thanks so much for the ideas!

chipman

#7: Post by chipman »

I ended up using a bottled water.