A bit off a topic - Wemo WiFi plug and ECM Synchronika

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
adcampo

#1: Post by adcampo »

I have my ECM Sync hooked up to a Wemo and set to come up early am to warm up before I get up. It's worked great for nearly a year. Now all of a sudden it goes directly to Eco mode.

So when I get up, I have to wait for it to warm up.

Only change I've made is unplugged it temporarily.

Any suggestions.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

adcampo wrote:Now all of a sudden it goes directly to Eco mode.
Define "it".

I don't see that mode in our Wemo, perhaps it's because ours is an older version. Might it be that your espresso machine has a default 'Eco' mode; is there a menu that you can scroll through to see if you can find it?

Check your espresso machine manual, as an Eco mode wouldn't make much sense for a Wifi programmable 'ON/OFF' switch.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

adcampo (original poster)

#3: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

So, my ECM has a Eco mode. My set up is that the Wemo turns my machine on in the morning. I don't have it automatically turning it off. I like quick access to a coffee all day. The ECM will cycle in to Eco mode after 90 minutes. At the end of the day, I clean the machine and switch it off via the Wemo. This has worked perfectly until just recently.

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

I'm not sure I understand...
You're saying that you clean the machine (which involves operating the brew lever, thus it should come out of Eco if it were in Eco), then shut it down via the Wemo (effictively unplugging it)... It seems it should not come back on in Eco if it was unplugged (Wemo switched off) in normal idle.

Can you repeat it by physically unplugging it, counting 15 seconds and plugging it back in?

Giampiero

#5: Post by Giampiero »

Check what time is really set for the eco mode.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

If the machine has a real time clock that controls when eco mode turns on and off and the battery died, maybe you'd see a problem like this. Or if the clock just forgot the time.

Ira

Bluenoser

#7: Post by Bluenoser »

I think Eco mode is just a single setting that turns off in 30/60/90 minutes..

Few things you can try..

1. If you plug in directly to AC and then turn it on.. does it go directly to Eco? If not, then the Wemo is not fully activating it properly and I'd suspect the Wemo plug has degraded in some way..

2. Disable the ECO mode.. What happens when the Wemo turns it on now.. ? ..

3. Since I suspect the Wemo might be bad.. I'd replace it for safety.. do you have another AC thingy like the Wemo to try .. (I have several around my place so I can always try another)

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Isn't a Wemo just a relay? How can it cause a problem?

Ira

cyclezib

#9: Post by cyclezib »

My Profitec has the same eco mode available. I also have a Wemo wifi plug. But I set my eco mode to off and have my wifi plug turn the machine on early in the AM to give time for the lever machine to come to temperature and have the Wemo plug turn the power off at 10:30 in the morning. If I want Espresso mid-afternoon, I just push the Wemo plug to on and wait for the machine to warm up.

adcampo (original poster)

#10: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

I turned off eco mode and it worked this morning.

I turned eco back on and we'll see what happens tomorrow am.

I had unplugged the Wemo/coffee machine to run the power cord through my counter.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input.