Bialetti style cafetera makes VERY weak coffee, ideas?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
momo034

#1: Post by momo034 »

I have a new Cafetera style espresso maker. It's not a Bialetti but it wasnt cheap.

Problem is that when I put it on the stove (low heat), within the first couple minutes half the water comes rushing up...it comes through clear because it was not on the stove long enough to boil and truly vaporize so it doest pick up any of the coffee on its way up.

After this initial sudden push of not so hot (mostly clear) water, then it seems to act alike a normal cafetera, it will sit on the stove another 4 minutes till the water actually vaporizes and SLOWLY comes up, spewing nice dark coffee. But by then I am only getting coffee half as strong as I should because the first half was just water.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Gig103

#2: Post by Gig103 »

How are you grinding the coffee and what is your dose?

I use my moka pot at the same setting on my Vario as an Aeropress. I fill it up (25-30g) and put it on high heat. Definitely not weak and doesn't come out clear at any point.

gor

#3: Post by gor »

I think you might be putting too much water into it at the start.
Try it with less water. Usually you're not meant to fill the container past the safety valve. That way the Mokapot has some headspace to create the steam pressure needed to push the hot water up and into the coffee puck.
If there's too much water at the start, it will flow up due to expansion when it is initially starting to heat. This water is not hot and will not make coffee.
After the initial expansion, it will stop flowing since it is now at a lower level in the container and will only be pushed up again when the steam pressure is great enough.

momo034 (original poster)

#4: Post by momo034 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, but Im only filling it to within about a half centimeter from the pressure valve. I have also tried with even less water. Same result. A bunch of "warm" water prematurely shoots up creating a very diluted coffee.