Bezzera Strega steam wand 2 or 4 holes

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Chris Nias

#1: Post by Chris Nias »

Hi...

Does the Bezzera Strega wand use 4 holes or 2 holes? Because from what I read in this forum and on the website that strega uses 4 holes, but those who enter my country Indonesia say they use 2 holes. Does this affect the steaming performance? I have emailed and asked this to Bezzera from last week and have asked via Facebook, but until now i have not received a reply at all.

Thanks,
Christian

truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by truemagellen »

I cant say for Strega but different regions/countries have different importers who often get to select what comes with each machine.

On the Izzo Leva machines they ship with a 2 hole tip installed plus a little kit with 1, 3, and 4 so you can figure out what is right for you.

Tips are cheap and many are universal. So just buy several online with smaller holes and find what works for you. You may like the 2 hole but want holes bigger and you can enlarge them. On a Rancilio commercial machine i liked a 2 hole for steaming small amounts of milk with medium sized holes. It came with a 4 hole with huge holes. 2 holes is probably ideal unless you are making startbucks style drinks or are steaming 2-4 drinks of milk in a large pitcher.

ravco

#3: Post by ravco »

Mine has 2 holes. Was thinking about the difference to a 4 hole tip.

truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by truemagellen » replying to ravco »

you could just drill 2 more holes then plug them after via weld or epoxy.

Chris Nias (original poster)

#5: Post by Chris Nias (original poster) »

My strega now use 2 hole steam nozzle. How if I replace it with 3 or 4 holes, it must be with a smaller hole diameter?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

I have a four-hole tip and longer steam arm scavenged from a Nuova Simonelli commercial machine. Each of the four holes is bigger than the holes in the stock two-hole tip. What does this mean? Lots more steam coming out 'per second' ... which means, the steam doesn't last as long. The total amount of steam available to you is a function of boiler size and what the pressurestat is set at. You can get that steam at a slow pace that goes on for quite a while (two-hole tip), or a fast pace that doesn't last as long (four-hole tip).

However, if you get a four-hole tip with smaller holes such that the total area of the holes is the same as the two-hole tip, then the steam from that four-hole will last just as long as the two-hole.

The Bezzera part numbers for the Strega:
Up to 20/9/2011: four-hole tip is 7305010. The two-hole tip is 7305013.
Afterwards: Two-hole tip 7305014
I do not know what the difference is between the tips ... but my guess - GUESS - is that the Strega went to a 'no-burn' arm at that time. If so, then the tip would need to be slightly different inside to mate with the teflon piping. (No-burn means teflon piping is run inside the metal pipe that you see. I removed my teflon piping long ago ...)
- My espresso: Swirled, not stirred. My pourover: Stirred, not swirled.

#7: Post by Chris Nias (original poster) » replying to baldheadracing »

Yes, the standard steam arm is too short.
May you show me the steam arm from nouva simonelli along with the hole size comparison with the standard 2 hole strega? From which one nouva simonelli models?
And I've also remove teflon piping on my steam arm which makes the steam pressure out a bit stronger.

What is the pressure of your steam?

The factory steam pressure in my strega is 1.3 bar. But I just tried to raise it to 1.5 bar. Does it have a bad effect on groupheat temperature and cylinder pressure?

bluesman

#8: Post by bluesman »

truemagellen wrote:you could just drill 2 more holes then plug them after via weld or epoxy.
That's not as easy as it sounds. You need a drill press and a vise to hold the tip steady and keep the drill bit properly aligned for an axial pass into the metal - and most tips are curved where you're going to drill, making it difficult to maintain alignment while starting the hole. You need to advance the drill slowly and let the bit cool periodically while drilling. Doing this with a hand held power drill is almost certain to result in some kind of disaster as a result of which the tip and/or some part of you (like your hand or an eye) will probably suffer.

You have to mark the desired locations carefully and center punch them first to keep the bit from wandering before it bites. And you have to use a high quality bit of proper material and design, turning at the appropriate speed for the metal you're drilling. Cheap steel bits break off easily if not perfectly aligned and driven, especially when they're that small in diameter. Then you'll need to debur both the inner and outer circumferences off the hole(s) you made.

Tips are cheap - I strongly suggest buying what you want to try - you can always resell the one(s) you don't like.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Chris Nias wrote:Yes, the standard steam arm is too short.
May you show me the steam arm from nouva simonelli along with the hole size comparison with the standard 2 hole strega? From which one nouva simonelli models?
And I've also remove teflon piping on my steam arm which makes the steam pressure out a bit stronger.

What is the pressure of your steam?

The factory steam pressure in my strega is 1.3 bar. But I just tried to raise it to 1.5 bar. Does it have a bad effect on groupheat temperature and cylinder pressure?
The steam arm and four hole tip are from a 20+ year old Nuova Simonelli Program. I changed the rubber holder so that part won't look like the one on a NS. I am sure that there are lots of machines that have similar arms.

(The Strega's tip is raised so the ends are at the same height.)

My boiler runs around 1.25 bar; untouched from new. A higher pressure would raise the temperature of the heat exchanger but I have no idea how much of an increase there would be on the brew temperature curves.
- My espresso: Swirled, not stirred. My pourover: Stirred, not swirled.

#10: Post by Chris Nias (original poster) » replying to baldheadracing »

So how's your experience using the 4 large holes steam tip on the strega, does that produce good microfoam in 12oz small jug? Because of my problem with 2 tip holes, it will always make milk overflow when spinning.