Bezzera Magica's pump pressure is too low

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cql1991

#1: Post by cql1991 »

I have just purchased a Bezzera Magica espresso machine and I was testing it last night.
However, I found that there was something wrong with its pump pressure.
Normally the pump pressure goes to above 9 bar when doing the extraction, but for my machine it was always under 9 bar, which was between 4 and 6 bar.
Can anyone please tell me is that normal, or what should I do?

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Could be several things, hopefully some more experienced people will weigh in soon, but what is the pressure against a blind filter? If that is up to around 10 bar, maybe it's something to do with your grind/dose.

Otherwise it might be your OPV setting, or even the gage itself....last it may be the pump.

Have you checked with the person/place you bought it from? They should know or at least have an idea for you. Overall 4-6 bar for extraction is probably not as designed for an E61 machine, definitely get it checked out and fixed.

Advertisement
cql1991 (original poster)

#3: Post by cql1991 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure the coffee beans were finely ground and I set the extraction time to be around 25 seconds. I even did a back flush to let the water ran out, and the pump pressure went down to 3 bar.

I bought the machine from iDrinkCoffee.com and it is a brand new one. I have sent them an email and I am waiting for the reply. Hopefully I can get the answer soon.

cql1991 (original poster)

#4: Post by cql1991 (original poster) »

EspressoForge wrote:Could be several things, hopefully some more experienced people will weigh in soon, but what is the pressure against a blind filter? If that is up to around 10 bar, maybe it's something to do with your grind/dose.

Otherwise it might be your OPV setting, or even the gage itself....last it may be the pump.

Have you checked with the person/place you bought it from? They should know or at least have an idea for you. Overall 4-6 bar for extraction is probably not as designed for an E61 machine, definitely get it checked out and fixed.
The pump pressure was 12 when using the blind filter, so that means the pressure is fine, right?
So then it might be the grind/dose as you mentioned.

I am using a Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic, it says on the manual that "a change of 0.10 seconds is equivalent to a change of dose of 0.15 grams". For my understanding, a 4.70 seconds grinding makes a 7 grams dose. Is there anything wrong with my understanding?

mlroot

#5: Post by mlroot »

I have a Bezzera Medea, which I think is similar to the Magica, and after 2 years of use the pump volume has suddenly dropped to about 1/2 of normal, which also results in low pressure of course. Along with this the noise of the pump has also been cut in half and the machine is very quiet compared to making a rather forceful sound. Does this sound like the problem you are having, and, have you had any luck in identifying the cause or failed part? Finally, I'm trying to find online parts for the machine and not having a lot of luck-- any suggestions would be really great.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Can anyone please tell me is that normal, or what should I do?
It is not normal.

Use the larger basket that came with the machine and fill it with 12 or 14 grams of ground coffee depending on which basket it is. I believe you need to grind a little finer and get yourself a small 0.1 gram capable pocket digital scale.

As regards the Bezzera Medea, that sounds like a pump problem and replacements are readily available from any of the equipment vendors that help support this site.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

radudanutco

#7: Post by radudanutco »

I have a Bezzera Magica for almost 2 months and it has an 9 bar OPV (i bought the kit, the initial shipment was with the 12 bar OPV); these days - while trying to change my tamping habits for a lighter single tamp, with the stress on the distribution part, I started the shot just to remember that I've forgot to do any tamping :)
it was a fast flow with early blonding and the pressure not rising more than 6 bars!
on an usual shot it reaches 9.5 bars;
I would bet on an exaggerated fast flow in your case too;
better checked with the double shot basket, filled almost to the rim with a uniform leveled distribution of grounds (on my 14g basket it means 16g), a firm tamp and it'll be quite probably over to 12 bars pump pressure developed;
of course then adjust the grinding for a good ratio (say 50%, that is 16g grounds for 32 g of espresso in 25 sec), using, as recommended, a 0.1g precision scale (I have such a scale for 1000g and I am weighing the portafilter too);

the pump should be ok, if it develops 12 bars with the blind filter;
on my machine, the vibrating pump is ULKA EX5;

Advertisement
mlroot

#8: Post by mlroot »

Thanks for the advice re. the Medea pump. I took the vibration pump apart and cleaned it, and am now making better coffee than ever. Especially since I didn't waste $100 on a new pump! It was quite easy to do, but I would advise anyone taking apart their machine to take photos all along the way so you have reference images for putting it all back together.