Bezzera Duo User Experience - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PeetsFan (original poster)

#11: Post by PeetsFan (original poster) »

stiksandstones wrote:I am about ready to pull the trigger on this machine, with 1st-line and the free grinder deal, its a Mazzer mini which I really don't want-but I need a machine and grinder and $3k is my budget haha.
I am nervous about the digital screen, but, your point of we are living in a digital world and screen's are so common place, (paraphrased) I think I can trust it.
ONE thing I saw on reviews before, was that the LCD stays on 24-7, even when using the OFF timer feature? did they fix that on these newer models?
On my Duo MN (the model with the E61 group head), the screen stays on 24/7. It turns mostly black during Standby, because you touch it to get the machine to re-heat its boilers. This is by design.

My machine came with a three year warranty from Clive Coffee. If the screen breaks after that... as long as the replacement price is reasonable... who cares? My only care is that I try not to blast it with the steam wand, but the screen is pretty high up for that.

I LOVE the espresso I make with this machine, and the fantastic milk steaming. It exceeds my expectations.

When I read about espresso machines on this forum, there's always an engineer who finds some kind of flaw with an espresso maker, like imprecise water temp or pressure, or who knows what. This is why i think it's best to buy one of the classic Italian espresso machine brands. Because the imprecision is what makes the machine quintessentially, authentically Italian. This machine has character, personality, and emotion. If you buy an ultra-precise German-engineered machine, its flaws are really flaws. My previous machine, a Pavoni Europiccola, was filled with flaws, and incredibly emotional. But twenty-five years later, people still rave about it. The imprecision is the heart, and without a heart, it's only a machine, and how can you love a machine?

Twenty-five years from now, we'll still love these machines! We will have replaced the touchscreen, somehow, and who knows what other parts, but they'll still work and we'll love their Italian hearts.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision

#12: Post by PeetsFan (original poster) »

I learned something about the drip trays on these machines: Bezzera has changed them, and not for the better! The machined drip tray cover, which matches the top of the machine, has been replaced with a wire tray. I assume this was a cost-saving measure.

When I got my machine, it had the new style drip tray. I guess it's good that I got the latest production run, but I mentioned this to Clive Coffee. I wasn't angry about it, and I didn't threaten to return it. They said they prefer for their floor demo model to resemble the units they sell, so they were happy to exchange my new wire drip tray with their old-style tray from their demo unit. I like my old-style tray much better. What do you think?

Here's a photo of an original Bezzera Duo:

Here's a photo of the drip tray on the new Bezzera Duo:

stiksandstones

#13: Post by stiksandstones »

Thanks for reply.
I can't make up my mind.

Bezzera DUO - because the new school tech is pretty intriguing, and the price with the WOOD is nice

ECM Sychronika, undeniable quality....adding wood accents ups the steep price

Lucca M58 seems nice, but....not sure

Profitec....

same ole hesitation as thousands other on this forum haha.

111a111sk

#14: Post by 111a111sk »

I'd say the wire drip tray is a better option - catches less water drops

Espressoman007

#15: Post by Espressoman007 » replying to 111a111sk »

It makes sense. I was in the same position with Lelit Bianca when I first got it. I thought drip tray on my Bezzera Unica looked much better and that it was made better...but in no time, I totally fell in love with the new design of Bianca's wired drip tray.

Cheers!

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

While I do like the classic look over the wire grill, I do see one big advantage for the wire grill - the scratches that ceramic cups can make on a stainless steel tray won't be very visible.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

#17: Post by PeetsFan (original poster) »

We're still loving the Bezzera Duo. It was hundreds less than the Synchronika and the Lelit Bianca and comparable in every way. The Bezzera doesn't have flow control, but it can be added the same as any E61 machine, if I choose. The front-panel touch screen is great. I love it.

I bought a 36" kitchen cabinet at Lowe's, along with a 42" butcher block countertop. Together, they came to $218. They're installed in my breakfast nook, next to my kitchen. This past weekend, I put Varathane on the butcher block (outside). It was very easy to do... just light sand, wipe down, paint on a coat. Wait four hours. Repeat. Flip, apply three coats. It was ready Monday morning, just in time for coffee. With the Varathane, I can easily wipe up any spills with a cloth. Before, I just had a mineral oil and the butcher block absorbed liquid and easily stained. Fortunately, the stains all came out with the very first, light sanding.

This past weekend I just about finished plumbing in the machine. My advice to anyone doing this is to go to www.ferguson.com and search for John Guest. Then you can find all of the 3/8" tubing fittings you'll ever need, all in one place. For the Quick Connect style, John Guest is the best manufacturer.

I ran a 3/8" line to the machine. I bought a water filter set from Chris Coffee. It was only $100 and it includes both water filtering (charcoal) and water softening. Nothing else comes close to that price. Now I've ordered a water pressure gauge and a water pressure regulator from Amazon. With any of these machines, you need to limit the incoming water pressure... and you can't limit it if you can't measure it. I have a Ring alarm system and I bought their flood sensor accessory. The package comes with two, so I have one under the sink and one beneath the cabinet with the Bezzera. If the John Guest fittings ever leak, I'll get an alert on my phone.

Once that's done, I will get the drain line plumbed, then I'm going to install a small sink - a glass rinser/drainer.

Here are the filters inside the cabinet. I have some clamps on order which will secure the tubing against the cabinet.