Bezzera BZ02/Livia 90 Portafilter Gasket Too Tight(?)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
danno

#1: Post by danno »

Hello-

I replaced the portafilter gasket in my Bezzera BZ02 (which is a Livia 90 in different clothing) two months ago. I installed it curved/chamfered edge up. Everything installed well, but the portafilter still seats very tight. With a basket in the PF, I can turn the handle approximately one-eighth of a turn-the PF handle does not even get perpendicular to the machine.

Is this normal?

TIA
Daniel

ddr

#2: Post by ddr »

There are 2 different part numbers for the gasket. I do not know how to figure out which one to use though.
Dan
LMWDP #242

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I installed it curved/chamfered edge up.
Based on what I "remember" from a Bezzera BZ07, the curved/chamfered edge of the gasket for a BZ02 should be facing the PF/basket, i.e. installed down.

While I'm sure there can be some variations in manufacturing, no part (or very little) of the PF lugs should be "exposed" when the PF is tightened - you could check this with a mirror.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Philosogeek

#5: Post by Philosogeek »

erics wrote:Based on what I "remember" from a Bezzera BZ07, the curved/chamfered edge of the gasket for a BZ02 should be facing the PF/basket, i.e. installed down.
This is actually one of the more confusing elements of installing a gasket on my Livia90. I had real trouble figuring out which way to install it the first time I was doing this (I bought the machine used and the gasket was dried and leaking so didn't trust the way it was installed). I remember coming across directions that gave conflicting info about this.

Common consensus agrees with you though Eric. WLL says "The flat side points towards the top of the machine, the beveled side points downwards towards the portafilter!" (http://www.wholelattelove.com/tips.cfm? ... &itemID=67). However, I do remember seeing other sites (which I can't find at the moment) that suggested the beveled side up. Btw, I just tried to check my gasket but I can't tell if it's beveled down by looking and the machine has been on for an hour so I don't want to stick my finger up there :-0

-p

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I do not know about Bezzera gaskets, but FWIW, here are two typical gasket issues:
-- all manufacturers make a thin gasket for new machines and a thick one for older machines. Since these are commercial group bells designed for a lot of use, the thinner gasket is usually the one for home use.
-- Aftermarket portafilters, like bottomless or triples, have different ears from the original one for which the gasket is designed. Mostly these are based on thicker eared brands (Rancilio or LM) since you can file down a thick eared PF to fit, while a thin eared one is no use.

A seemingly thick gasket may be the one meant for older machines, or the result of using an aftermarket PF.

As far as I know, Bezzera uses the same group bell on all their machines.
Jim Schulman

danno (original poster)

#7: Post by danno (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I ordered the gasket from 1st-Line and asked specifically for a gasket for the BZ02. This is the same one that others had used successfully, so I am relatively certain it is correct.

I am using the original portafilter, so no worries there.

I remember the two conflicting recommendations for installing the gasket and chose to go with beveled edge up. I did get two gaskets, so I will try flipping it over.

danno (original poster)

#8: Post by danno (original poster) »

The gasket flip seems to work. I can now get the lever perpendicular to the group. With more use it hopefully will seat even better. For future reference, the beveled side goes toward the portafilter.

Thanks to all!

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

I do believe I have made an ERROR. A few posts up, I made the comment that the beveled face of the grouphead gasket should face the portafilter when all is properly installed.

This appears to be 99 & 44/100% wrong. I discussed this orientation with a Canadian dealer of these machines (he and I have spoken previously on other subjects) and he said that the beveled face should face up, i.e. towards the grouphead and thus the portafilter will seal against the flat face of this gasket.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused - however I am currently checking this with "higher authority" - Mr. Bezzera himself.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

CRCasey

#10: Post by CRCasey »

Other than compression is there a reason that these gaskets are not square in the first place?
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244